stupid question of the day (day 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stupid question of the day (day 2)

everyone mentions o rings this and o rings that. where are they? in the boots that lead from the airbox into the carbs? or in the boots that lead from the carbs into the engine? or both? or none of the above? if i order the o rings from the forum member that sells them, will they have any directions?

bonus stupid question: if i order a veshra (sp?) gasket pack, will it have all the gaskets on the bike? for instance, i want to get into the clutch at some point, and want to have a spare gasket on hand.

sorry fellas. there are actually 7 questions this day.

Check this out.
    Don't know about the gaskets.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

There are no o-rings between the airbox and the carbs.

There are a bunch of o-rings in the carbs.

There are o-rings between the carbs and the cylinder head, at the junction of the tubes and the head.

The Vesrah kit is one of the better kits, but it might still be missing a gasket or two. As an example, I had another brand that claimed to be 'complete', but it was missing the cam chain tensioner and the oil pan gaskets.

Oh, when you order your o-rings, get the stainless bolts that hold the boots on, too. You will probably do a decent job of destroying the stock hardware, anyway, so get the new bolts.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey, I go to VT almost every weekend, & I have the exact same bike!!

where in VT are you? I have a house in St. J
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          Hey, I go to VT almost every weekend, & I have the exact same bike!!

where in VT are you? I have a house in St. J
          i'm in the southwest corner, in bennington, vt.

thanks for the responses.

i just got a decent 850G that is not running. my hope is to take it apart bit by bit, and learn as i go along. in fact, the carbs were in a box. i set up a little work station on my dining room table, but my gf came home and yelled at me, and they went back in the box.

i don't see very well...have to figure out where i can set up a well lighted area so i can see what the heck is what.

Comment

Boathead dude,set up a workstation on your bed.I'll bet your allowed back in the dining room then.Cheers,Simon.
            http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Time to get a new GF!

Whose house is it anyway? You bought the bike so you could take HER for rides. So SHE could enjoy it.
              You can always eat in the living room in front of the TV. Besides, the table gets used only 3 times a day. As a workbench it's used all the time!

Next thing ya know she will complain about parts in the bathtub.

Comment

My garage faces west and when I get home it's really warm in there. When I was working on the carbs, I got one of those brown folddown tables and set it in the kitchen. The a/c was nice. Surpisingly it was my gf's suggestion to do that. The kitchen smelled like old gas and various cleaners for a couple days. To me, it made dinner taste even better.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

i keep my bike in my living room. the wife dont mind really, gives her somewhere to hang the ironing lol. always doing bits and peices on it and there aint a room in the house without some bike bits in.

built my engine in my bedroom too!
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
                  X