'85 GS700ES parts on a '83 GS750ESD???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'85 GS700ES parts on a '83 GS750ESD???

I have had a very kind offer for a left passenger peg and mount however from an '85 GS700ES...did they just change the engine size and leave everything the same or did they modify other parts as well? I would think it was just the engine but what I need to know is will this peg/mount for on my 750?? I know there are ppl out there who know this..
    Cheers,
    Shaun

Yes it should fit, from what I hear, the only thing that changed is the stroke of the engine.

Comment

I have a left pass peg and mount for 82 GS750E If that helps.Don't know about interchange

Comment

There were major changes between 82 and 83, not sure about the pegs, just a heads up.

Comment

good stuff

THanks for all the help..I know the bike unerwent big changes from 82 to 83 as the 83 was totally revamped and I suspected the frame stayed the same from 83-85. thanks for the help.
          Cheers

Comment

Re: '85 GS700ES parts on a '83 GS750ESD???

Originally posted by Klack
            I have had a very kind offer for a left passenger peg and mount however from an '85 GS700ES...did they just change the engine size and leave everything the same or did they modify other parts as well? I would think it was just the engine but what I need to know is will this peg/mount for on my 750?? I know there are ppl out there who know this..
            Cheers,
            Shaun
            There were other changes other than the motor but none too major. Ones I know without doing any research are.
            Seat
            Side covers
            Headlight on E
            '85 had chrome exhaust
            My bet is the passenger pegs are the same.

Comment

Were there any differences in the head? Cam profile, valve size, etc?

Comment

Not sure about the head and cams, but when the motor was de-stroked 50cc, the stock 67mm pistons were domed on the 700 to make back the compression loss and to keep the same ratio as the 750 at 9.6-1. I have a spare 750cc motor that I use these domed pistons in which gives about 10.2-1 with stock 747cc displacement. I find the higher compression is required for high lift cams. I have never ridden one of these 700's and don't know if it feels seat of the pants slower. I will say my new 83 stock 750 was very lean and anemic from the factory- I had a good friend with a new 85 700 Honda Interceptor that I used to ride with. His bike was noticeably faster thru midrange and on top. My first mods were a pipe, jet kit, and stage 1 drop-in cams, then my 750 came alive and ran as it should have from the factory. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Where do you find "Stage 1 Cams"? Are they a custom job, or something off the shelf? What are the properties of the cams? How different are they from stock, and is it something you could do to the stock cams to give them the same properties as a "Stage 1"? I know I'm full of questions, but thanks for your patience.

Comment

Sounds like Yoshimura cams. They use the Stage 1,2, & 3 designations for the different grinds they offer. Vance and Hines used terms like drop ins, modified, and race grinds. Others use different terms. I believe Megacycle offers cams reground from stock cams, I could be wrong though.

Comment

Stage 1 are basic drop-in cams for a stock motor using stock springs, stock compression and no machining required. Basic numbers are .330 lift at 246 duration set at 110deg lobe centers. This will really wake up these motors and with a pipe and jet kit probably be the last mod you do. The next is stage 3 which is .350 lift at 252 duration. I have used both of these profiles in my 83 750. With the 3's you will need a compression boost, aftermarket springs and machine work. These 3's are kick a@@ top end cams that make the motor very strong but peaky. For all around street use the drop-ins are the way to go.

Comment

Other than different pistons, slightly altered cam timing, I believe slightly different crank bearings, slightly different bodywork, seat, and chrome rather than black exhaust, just about everything else is the same.

Comment

Do you know how altered the cam timing is? Is it more aggressive or less?

Comment

Only a couple of degrees less duration on the exhaust cam. Same lift and same everything on intake.

Comment

Billy is right as usual. Different terms by different companies but it all means the same. Stage 1 or drop-ins are the next step up from stock. Megacycle and Cammotion did do regrinds years ago making their cams cheaper. Simply mail off your stock cores and they cut your cams to specs. Interesting note- January 1984 MOTORCYCLIST magazine profiled the Yoshimura race prepped 83 GS750E and stated that the bike went from stock 76bhp to 90bhp getting the greatest gains from drop-in cams: 8.25mm lift at 245 degrees on an otherwise stock motor with Mikuni 29mm smoothbores. These numbers are basically the same as my stage 1 numbers by Cammotion. The article also says "these cams offer substantial gains at the top of the power curve without sacraficing mid-range".This Yosh bike went 11.41 @ 120mph in the quarter from the stock 11.75 @ 111mph.

Comment

Working...
                              X