Disassembly of speedo drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disassembly of speedo drive

My speedometer stopped working while I was out last time. After a long story worth of other unrelated stuff, I was able to check the drive unit at the axle. I could turn the drive dogs, but the output shaft wouldn't turn. I couldn't turn the output shaft at all. So I got around to looking at it tonight. I got the snap ring and drive dogs off, and I got the output shaft and gear out. It looks like hte main problem is that the grease in the unit just turned to sludge so that the drive dogs slipped instead of turning the gears.

So, here's where I'm stuck: It looks like the seal that seals the main gear and puts pressure on the back of the drive dogs also holds the main gear in the unit. Anyone know how to get this seal out without destroying it?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

I don't know if it's possible to get the seal out. It looks proprietary and Suzuki doesn't sell it. I took out the drive pinion, flushed the inside with simple green, dried it, and then greased the drive pinion.

Comment

Ya know, just about 3 weeks ago I had my speedo unit out & apart to the exact same stage your at now... I couldn't figure out how to dis-assemble it either, so I just kept squirting brake parts cleaner in there & rotating the main drive gear around until it was squeaky clean.

Put it all back together with a healthy dose of moly wheel bearing grease & it works great - free & easy.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

That sounds like a plan. Thanks guys.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

It's not meant to be taken apart, Is not serviced by Suzuki except for replacement

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            It's not meant to be taken apart, Is not serviced by Suzuki except for replacement
            As Lynn said. I have had 2 go out on my 1100E and just replaced them. They really aren't fixable and you can still buy them new......
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
            X