Dogma's Caliper Piston PSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dogma's Caliper Piston PSA

When using compressed air to remove the piston from a brake caliper, not only should you keep your fingers out of the caliper, you should make sure the piston is not aimed at a storm drain.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Hmmmmm... I wonder how you know that??
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

retrieve

I had to reach behind a freezer with a magnet for one of mine

Comment

may i ask why you were doing that in the street?

Comment

Is this what ebay is for, to get replacement calipers for old bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Colt View Post
            Is this what ebay is for, to get replacement calipers for old bikes.
            So you take off one set of old calipers and install another equally old set?
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I got one out the other day using compressed air at the local garage. It shot into the air, smacked off their ceiling (while everybody was covering their heads) and then bounced off under a lathe out of the way.
              How we laughed.

I won't be going there again, they all point and laugh now

I need to get my own compressor, since piston firing could be an olympic sport in a few years, got to get some more practice in.

Comment

I just did two calipers yesterday...no problem...

Just wrapped a shop rag around it first...pop...caught in the rag....
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  So you take off one set of old calipers and install another equally old set?
                  Yup, but for those keeping bikes stock it is a supply for replacing hiding parts such as the ones that go scurrying behind lathes or cannon fire into storm drains.

Comment

questions...

Why was I doing this in the street? Because that's where I park my car. (Wifes' in the driveway, the GS in the garage.) My only compressor is a little portable job that I keep in the car, and it runs off the lighter.

Replacing old caliper with another old caliper? The parts bike had two calipers, one had a good piston. All four caliper bodies were nasty and in need of cleaning.
                    Dogma
                    --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Well, to answer the 'replace old with old' question, I bought an old rear caliper off of ebay, so I could clean/repair one, while the other was on the bike.
                      Once done, I have a perfect rear caliper on the bike, a spare (off of the bike) and a bit more knowedge as to how brakes work.

This strikes me as a mighty efficient way to learn, it's inexpensive, there is little to no bike downtime and if it all goes horribly wrong it's not the end of the world.

Anyway, I'm off to fire brake pistons at something, I can only sympathize with Dogma, I bet your fingers are sore , hehehehe

Comment

Originally posted by Headphase View Post
                        Anyway, I'm off to fire brake pistons at something, I can only sympathize with Dogma, I bet your fingers are sore , hehehehe
                        Nah, fingers are fine. Someone else around here got one squished though. The pick I was using to dig junk out of the seal grooves might be sore, but not my finges.
                        Dogma
                        --

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

I'm a fan of the rag method. Of course not many shops rebuild calipers anymore; so one isn't truly receiving a thorough brake job.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

That's what I'll probably do next time. For now, my compressor options require both hands, so I can't hold the caliper in my hand. If I had to do it again, I think I'd at least put it in a cardboard box.

Bottom line, this procedure really needs at least as much care and consideration as a pellet gun.
                            Dogma
                            --

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Personally when a stuck piston comes free. It has allot more energy than a pellet gun. You do not want it hitting any tender parts or anywhere on your face or eyes. I have a good friend going into his second year of operations trying to keep an eye from the impact of the tip of a 2X4 that spit out of his table saw. He did have protective eyeware on. The injury was massive for a little chunk of wood.

Comment

Working...
                              X