Idle Screw non responsive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle Screw non responsive

I own a 1981 GS450. Have just removed the entire engine to have one of the cam chain tensioner threads re-threaded.
    The engine has now been fitted back into the bike and it runs again -YEAH!

The idle screw is non-responsive though.
    I used to use it when cold-starting in place of the choke (Which hasn't worked since I bought the bike).

When I turn the choke in the 'on' direction it cuts the engine. The engine would run perfectly when the choke is in the 'off' position.

Now that the idle screw doesn't respond at all I have no way to keep the bike on idle except by holding the accelerator slightly.

Any help?

Take the carbs apart, clean them thoroughly and fix all that stuff.
    It's all simple, just takes a little time.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks! Ill give it a try and post the results.

Comment

Do you have new manifold o-rings?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

No I dont!
          After reading some of the other threads, I think Ill pop new ones in while I have it all open.

Thanks!

Comment

sorry to thread jack but how hard is it to take apart, clean, and reassemble the carb? I need to do but I've never worked on a bike before. I'm very interested in getting my hands dirty because I would like to really clean up and repair my bike.

Especially after visiting this forum. There are so many beautiful GS's on here.

Comment

Originally posted by 1978gs550E View Post
              sorry to thread jack but how hard is it to take apart, clean, and reassemble the carb? I need to do but I've never worked on a bike before. I'm very interested in getting my hands dirty because I would like to really clean up and repair my bike.

Especially after visiting this forum. There are so many beautiful GS's on here.
              It's not hard at all. Look on the main page for GSR, there is a "Garage" section. In the Garage, you will find two guides for cleaning your carbs. One is for the older VM carbs, the other is for the newer BS (CV) carbs. We have no idea what you will be working on, or where, so may I suggest that you fill out some information in your profile? Knowing what you are working on really helps. If you also put in a general location, you may find that there is someone close enough to get their hands dirty along with you.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

what it would be like to have a beautiful GS... i wonder.

Comment

Working...
                X