GS 650 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 650 rebuild

I was wondering what I can expect the cost of a rebuild to be on my bike. It currently has poor compression, a leaking head gasket and bad valve guide seals. I have been looking for a gs650 engine that is in good condition to do a swap with, but they seem to be few and far between. What would it cost for me to have a machine shop rebuild the engine. (hone + rings, vavle guide seals, gaskets, etc)? I figured a complete gasket set would be around $100+. I really want to make this GS a great running bike because its condition is perfect for the year.

Yes $100 is about right for a full gasket set. They are not as cheap as other models in the GS range.

Comment

just do it. for about 300 bucks you'll have a beautifully running GS that wont need to be worked on for 20 more years.(except valve adjustments and carb work)

Comment

Have to agree with Catbed, 300 ought to do it. 100 for gaskets, another 100 for rings, 40 for cylinder hone and 60 for misc stuff. Have you checked your compression wet--meaning add oil to cylinder and see if it is higher than dry readings? If it doesn't go up than it could be valves hanging open. How many miles on bike, how much oil does it burn? If it is valves, I would consider a used head (can pick up from ebay for cheap). Valve quide seals are usually included in complete gasket set.

Word of advice, make sure you order correct gasket set, for later 82 and 83 650g, the earlier 81 gaskets will not fit valve cover. Top ends rebuilds are fairly easy. Good luck and keep us posted with what you decide.

Comment

It has crap compression. The bike has 26k on the clock, but the PO was a college kid like me, but unlike me beat on it. It burns quite a bit of oil. I thought it was just the valve guide seals at first, but it noticed oil on all the spark plugs leading me think it may be more. I started it today with a friend and he said it may have a rod knock now. I really want to get it running well and new again, and I know the cost will be expensive, but I love the bike.

Comment

Have you checked the valve adjustment ? Rering & new valve seals should put it back on the road
            Gasket kit will come with (0r should) valve seals
            Rings about $120
            Cyl hone ? Check with AutoZone May be able to loan one.
            Rod knock is doubtful, not impossible. More than likley clutch rattle OR just tipical GS noise at low idle.. Run the motor about 2K RPM if it sounds ok. don't worry about it

Comment

I found a place in falmouth, Maine that restores older bikes and am going to give them a call to see what it would cost for them to do it. I don't really have the time to do it myself, but my friends dad went through them and they do excellent work.

Comment

you might need to budget for brake pads , fork seals, fluids and such as well. Not a huge amount of money, but it all adds up.

Comment

Originally posted by Headphase View Post
                  you might need to budget for brake pads , fork seals, fluids and such as well. Not a huge amount of money, but it all adds up.
                  Brakes are good, fluid is ok..although brake fluid is cheap. Forks need to be done, but I already have money set aside for new seals (quoted at $80 including labor if I bring them off the bike).

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
                    just do it. for about 300 bucks you'll have a beautifully running GS that wont need to be worked on for 20 more years.(except valve adjustments and carb work)
                    What Catbed said-these machines don't take a fortune to maintain and when they're refreshed they're as reliable as a hammer. All the help you'll ever need is available on this website, including parts sources and old guys with tons of experience. Count yourself lucky you chose a GS.

Comment

I've been around this site for awhile now and I agree. I figure in 10 years these bikes will start to get rare.

Comment

Working...
                      X