Engine Cooling in Hot Climes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Cooling in Hot Climes

Recently back from a biz trip to Tucson and Phoenix and noted some older in-line 4 bikes like Suzuki's and Yamaha's riding on city streets with daytime temps of 110 degrees. None had auxillary oil coolers. My bikes get hot in lesser temps and exhibit sluggish running.

How is it possible that these bikes don't overheat in stop and go traffic and what would be the signs if they were?

Idle RPMS would increase 200-300rpms & it would be increasingly difficult to shift.

Use decent oil (synthetic is most stable at ultra high temps but I use Rotella 15-40 for what it's worth....). I've had no probs with mine in those sort of temps, stop & go or running decent speed on the freeway.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Mercaholic View Post
      My bikes get hot in lesser temps ...
      Well, of course they get hot.
      Combustion temperatures are about 1700 degrees Fahrenheit.

The aluminum engine parts do a decent job of dissapating that heat to the air around the engine.
      Do you have a thermometer on the bike?
      What does it read?
      Any idea what the recommended max temp is?
      No? That's OK, I don't either.

Everybody has a preference and/or opinion as to what the 'ideal' operating temp is. Also, where should that temperature be measured? Should you rely on cylinder head temps or can you go with oil temps? Should the oil be 180 degrees or over 212 to boil off the water? How many (air-cooled) bikes have any kind of temp gauge anyway?

See what I mean? Also, how many bikes are running so close to the 'ragged edge' that another 10 degrees of air temp is going to cause problems? Unless you are running super-lean, you should not have any problems running in any temperatures that are likely to happen.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Increase speed to the maximum allowable limits........

Comment

Hot town, summer in the city!

I've thought about that issue as recently as this afternoon (it's almost 100 degrees today) while I was sitting at one of those intersections where there's about 6 different settings on the lights.

I've never had a problem but I know my bikes get hot....especially the 1100. It's noticeably hotter than the 750 and I notice that even in the winter.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

The topic about the necessity of an oil cooler comes up all the time. Just about every air cooled bike built starting in the mid 80’s has one but our GS’s don’t. Basically, an air cooled engine is a compromise of some sort; too much cooling doesn’t let the oil come up to temperature and too much heat can lead to oil breakdown. My personal opinion is that an oil cooler is a good idea if the air temp is 90F and above. Synthetic oil is also a good idea since it protects better in extreme heat.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              The topic about the necessity of an oil cooler comes up all the time. Just about every air cooled bike built starting in the mid 80’s has one but our GS’s don’t. Basically, an air cooled engine is a compromise of some sort; too much cooling doesn’t let the oil come up to temperature and too much heat can lead to oil breakdown. My personal opinion is that an oil cooler is a good idea if the air temp is 90F and above. Synthetic oil is also a good idea since it protects better in extreme heat.
              Yeah, the difference in oil performance in hot weather is noticeable. I change mine several times each summer and am going to switch to your Rotella recommendation next time I change it.

Comment

Rotella was my recommendation... that's a 15-40 dino but it's truck oil so holds up much better than others i've used.

Nessism is Synthetic all the way.

Horses for courses & all that
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  Rotella was my recommendation... that's a 15-40 dino but it's truck oil so holds up much better than others i've used.

Rotella synthetic is 5W-40; it flows well when cold so start up wear should be minimized. Yea, I like synthetic but mostly because I like to waste money on my bike. The regular dino flavor diesel oil is just fine, in fact, I've got a jug waiting for my next oil change.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Guys, I had 23 years and a quarter million miles on GS shafties. Four 850's and an 1100GK -- the latter for 9 years and 107,000 miles. The head has never been off that bike, which I sold to TheCafeKid, with 132,000 total miles.

No failures whatsoever due to heat. I don't live in Phoenix, but no one can say the mid Atlantic States are cool in June, July, or August.

No oil cooler on any of my GS shafties. No need for one.

When weather was hot, I changed the oil more often; instead of 2,000-mile interval, I changed it at 1,000 or 1,500 miles. Filter too. I used Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 on the GK the last 2 seasons. Before that, I used Yamalube 20W-40 most of the time.

If you want an oil cooler, fine. Get one and install one. Don't tell me, however, that it's a necessary thing. Nonsense!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

Sorry...... based on what you guys said the last time I got 'beat up', I figured I'd better switch to something else!

I was planning on the regular Rotella 15-40 and looked at it today at Walmart. The only reason I didn't buy any is because I was on the big bike (no saddle bags).

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                        Guys, I had 23 years and a quarter million miles on GS shafties. Four 850's and an 1100GK -- the latter for 9 years and 107,000 miles. The head has never been off that bike, which I sold to TheCafeKid, with 132,000 total miles.

No failures whatsoever due to heat. I don't live in Phoenix, but no one can say the mid Atlantic States are cool in June, July, or August.

No oil cooler on any of my GS shafties. No need for one.

When weather was hot, I changed the oil more often; instead of 2,000-mile interval, I changed it at 1,000 or 1,500 miles. Filter too. I used Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 on the GK the last 2 seasons. Before that, I used Yamalube 20W-40 most of the time.

If you want an oil cooler, fine. Get one and install one. Don't tell me, however, that it's a necessary thing. Nonsense!
                        Nick, I use an oil cooler. I don't run lean and the bike is tuned well.
                        I live in an area where daytime temps can reach 115F. The bike gets hot and breaks down the oil. I get more miles out of my oil now that I have one. "Sometimes" they are needed. If I lived in your neck of the woods (which is where I'm from) I would not run one.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Nick, I use an oil cooler. I don't run lean and the bike is tuned well.
                          I live in an area where daytime temps can reach 115F. The bike gets hot and breaks down the oil. I get more miles out of my oil now that I have one. "Sometimes" they are needed. If I lived in your neck of the woods (which is where I'm from) I would not run one.
                          Understood.

Comment

Just some further obsrvations, based on responses:
                            Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                            Increase speed to the maximum allowable limits........
                            Up to a point, of course. As you go faster, it requires much more fuel to overcome aerodynamic resistance. You will add more heat than the increase in air will remove. A practical limit for this theory might be around 60-65 mph, but that is just a guess.

The topic about the necessity of an oil cooler comes up all the time. Just about every air cooled bike built starting in the mid 80’s has one but our GS’s don’t.
                            Part of the reason for that is that many of the bikes use air/oil cooling. The oiling system is designed to spray oil directly on the bottom of the piston crown to help cool the piston. This puts more heat into the oil than our bikes, making a cooler more than just a 'nice thing to have'.

Yea, I like synthetic but mostly because I like to waste money on my bike. The regular dino flavor diesel oil is just fine, in fact, I've got a jug waiting for my next oil change.
                            I use Rotella synthetic on virtually everything I have, too. I was just walking through Wal-Mart tonight, here in Alabama, and was noticing that the price has gone up to $20 for that blue jug that only recently cost about $18.

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                            ... When weather was hot, I changed the oil more often; instead of 2,000-mile interval, I changed it at 1,000 or 1,500 miles. ...
                            I wish I had the money to be able to do that.
                            My oil-change schedule would make many of you cringe, but it has served me well, even though I don't have quite the mileage history of our esteemed 'elder' (former GS owner), Grandpa. My riding history has a hole in the middle of it. I rode from 1976 to 1983, then from 2000 to the present, so my odometer totals are a bit lacking.
                            '76 KZ400 - 22,000 miles
                            '77 KZ650 - 38,000 miles
                            '79 KZ1300 - 76,000 miles
                            '84 ZN1300 Voyager - 55,000 miles
                            '00 GL1500 Wing - 44,000 miles

This does not even count the 18,000 or so that my wife has put on her bikes over the years or the 20,000+ that my older son has put on his bikes.

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            I get more miles out of my oil now that I have one.
                            How do you know?
                            Do you just feel better about it, or do you actually submit your oil for analysis?
                            Mind you, I'm not criticizing, just curious.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I send it to Ed.
                              My bike shifts hard when the oil is spent.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X