Finding Manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding Manuals

Hey guys, I'm new here but I have to say, I love this site already. I've browsed so many threads that have really been helpful. Anyway, I have a 1978 GS550E (if you couldn't tell) and I wanted to get the manual for it. I also wanted to get a comprehensive repair manual that has all the info I would need to completely strip the bike and rebuild it.

Can anyone help me find either or hopefully both? I looked for the repair manual but could only find haynes ones and I've heard (from multiple people) that they aren't as good as the factory repair manuals mechanics use.

I want to completely rebuild my bike over the winter but I also need to get it running properly right now (hence why I need both manuals).

Right now I can get the bike to run but I'm pretty sure that the carbs need to be cleaned out properly and I need new o-rings. The bike will start but I have to have it on half choke for a very long time. When I first go to ride it, it will die if I don't mash the throttle. After like 5-10 minutes of riding, it will idle without the choke on at 2K rpm but the start is too rough for me. I can't go anywhere overnight because I'm afraid that it won't start properly in the morning.

awesome. Now can anyone help with a comprehensive manual to tear down then rebuild my bike?

Comment

ebay is a good place too look. also try your local dealer, i know they have the clymer manual but not to sure about the other.
      I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
      http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
        ebay is a good place too look. also try your local dealer, i know they have the clymer manual but not to sure about the other.

I heard the factory one is better than clymer/haynes. I know that they are going to try and get me to pay $70 for the manual when there has to be a cheaper one out there.

Comment

Or you could download one for free here:

http://search.ebscohost.com/

User ID: library
          Password: library

go to small engines....motorcycles. Loads of bedtime reading
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

yeah my clymer manual drives me nuts. it goes in depth on everything but the stuff im needing lol.
            I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
            http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by boathead View Post
              funny you should ask...was just looking at this....
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...d=p3911.c0.m14
              That's not the manual that you need. It is 4 valve, different carbs, etc.

Comment

Try this link and it should help you.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post

damn dude, thanks so much. Thats awesome.

another question: Would this help me take apart and clean my carbs? That is what I'm ultimately trying to do. First time working on a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by 1978gs550E View Post
                    damn dude, thanks so much. Thats awesome.

another question: Would this help me take apart and clean my carbs? That is what I'm ultimately trying to do. First time working on a bike.
                    Try this link for the carbs. I have just done mine. If any probs post back and I will help out. Many others can help as well. I have many pics of the stripdown if you run into trouble.

Comment

damn dude, thanks so much. That is freaking awesome.

Have you done a complete stripdown of your bike? And did you use a manual or are you savvy enough to figure it out?

Comment

Originally posted by 1978gs550E View Post
                        damn dude, thanks so much. That is freaking awesome.

Have you done a complete stripdown of your bike? And did you use a manual or are you savvy enough to figure it out?
                        A bit of both. Never without a manual though. I have Factory, Haines & Clymer manuals and do a lot of reading so I can pre empt any real problems.

Is this stripped down enough for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

ya that's enough for me. That is what I would like to do to my bike. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I only have limited experience (basically none) working on bikes but I learn things pretty quickly. I feel 100% confident in my ability to tear a bike down if I had a manual for referencing throughout the process.

I guess I'll see how good I can do when I rebuild the carbs. I will be ordering the o-rings tonight after work. I still need to download that manual though because I tried just opening it and then I was going to save it last night, but I couldn't get past 58MB. Hopefully it will work tonight.

Comment

Working...
                          X