81 gs450 gas leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs450 gas leak

Ok, i have an 81 gs450 that i have been messing with for some time now, i get it running for a bit and then another problem seems to arise. Right now i am having a problem with gas getting into my crank case and leaking from between the airbox and carb after it has sat for a day or two. I was thinking the needles were just wore out so i pulled them today and the look fine, and running a bit of gas through them with the bowls off, pushing up on the float a bit stoped the gas right away. the floats are not filled with gas, so they should be floating ok. any other ideas as to why i am having this problem? The bike was running great until i parked it if that helps.
    Oh, i know my petcock is leaking a bit, it drips into the fuel line even when the bike is off, so i need to rebuild that soon, witch will hopefully stop the problem atleast till winter.
    Sorry if this has been answred anywhere else, i have searched all day, and now my brain is fried.
    Thanks
    Brew

Yep, I think its the petcock too. Either that or the needle and seat are the problem I would think. Leaking petcock is not good and would do that over time as the fuel has to go somewhere.

Comment

yup, you need a new fuel tap
      GS850GT

Comment

shoot, just what i was afraid of. well, i guess im ordering a rebuild kit tonight unless i can find a new one here local. thanks guys

Comment

Working...
        X