Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing the signal light/high beam button, how??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing the signal light/high beam button, how??

Does anyone know how to REMOVE (and subsequently REPLACE) that funky square-ish 4-way button that operates the signal lights & the high/low beam??

I've replaced a missing horn button on my 850GLZ, & can't for the life of me figure out how to put that stupid 4-way button back in!!!

I've got a couple of extra switches & I've broken the little plastic "tee" (molded into the switch backside) off on them both.

I've actually figured out how to dis-assemble & asseble the insides of thoses switches, but that 4-way button is a REAL PITA - seems it has to be installed AFTER the switch is completely back together. Problem is, there's no room to get that "tee" back into the slot it rides in once assembled.

Is there a trick (or magic spell?) I don't know about??

Thanks,

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Its a 1/2 turn and lock, and the switch has to be taken apart to do that. Dont try to pry it but if you have a couple broken buttons I guess you know that.

Last edited by bonanzadave; 08-26-2008, 11:00 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks Dave, yeah, I really know what NOT to do

I still don't understand...

You say the switch has to be taken apart, does that mean remove the 3 screws on the back to loosen it up a little?? It won't come completely apart until the button is removed.

Thanks
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Sorry for the fuzzzy picture but you see the plastic tab / tee sticking through the switch housing.....Turn the button 90 degrees so the Tee lines up with the slot. Out comes the button. Ya cant turn the button 90 degrees until the switch is taken completely apart.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          Its a 1/2 turn and lock, and the switch has to be taken apart to do that. Dont try to pry it but if you have a couple broken buttons I guess you know that.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=127901
          OK, now I get it (I think). The part the "tee" thingy rotates thru during install stays on the housing side when you dis-assemble the switch. That part wasn't obvious to me at first, then i looked at your attached link show it clearer.

OK then - will try it again once I figure out how to put a "tee" back on the button backside.

Thanks again Dave,

mike
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Sorry for the fuzzzy picture but you see the plastic tab / tee sticking through the switch housing.....Turn the button 90 degrees so the Tee lines up with the slot. Out comes the button.
            My fatal error was to assemble the switch completely and then try to install the button. Of course, when I took it apart - bwinggg - all the little bits flew everywhere!! I was actually proud I figured out how to get it back together & working (minus the button ofr course).
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
              OK then - will try it again once I figure out how to put a "tee" back on the button backside.
              Good luck with that. I tried to glue a tab back on with some epoxy. It lasted about 5 min. I think youre up against finding a new button.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

- bwinggg - all the little bits flew everywhere!! I was actually proud I figured out how to get it back together & working (minus the button ofr course).
                I used dielectric grease to kinda hold every thing in place while I carefully reassembled the switch.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Good luck with that. I tried to glue a tab back on with some epoxy. It lasted about 5 min. I think youre up against finding a new button.

Yes, you may be right however, I have a few machinist buddies at work that like a challenge. I'm going to see what they come up with.

I'm thinking perhaps some epoxy & a very small metal pin to take the load. Heck these guys may just mill the the back of the button flat, & machine a new piece that screws on!! We're kinda slow at work so it might be a masterpiece!

thanks again
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Yes, you may be right however, I have a few machinist buddies at work that like a challenge. I'm going to see what they come up with.

I'm thinking perhaps some epoxy & a very small metal pin to take the load. Heck these guys may just mill the the back of the button flat, & machine a new piece that screws on!! We're kinda slow at work so it might be a masterpiece!

thanks again
                    Ill send you my old (broken) button.......
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Ill send you my old (broken) button.......
                      Well... lets see if I'm sucessful first
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                      X