sea foam. Helping or hurting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sea foam. Helping or hurting?

Hey guys, I just wanted to get some quick opinions on whether or not it's good to use sea foam in my oil to help clean out my engine. I've heard already that putting it in with the gas can cause some problems for the pistons because it makes them run too hot. I was wondering if anyone knows if putting it in the crankcase can cause any problems?

I was thinking of doing this because I want to give my bike some TLC so I can continue riding it for most of the year before it gets too cold. It's in rough condition so it could use any help I can give it. Thanks for your time and opinions.

I think the general consensus is that Seafoam in the gas is okay but as far as oil, only put it in right before you change the oil as it may cause problems with your clutch.

Comment

Not a good idea in the engine oil - it may loosen up some gunk & deposit it somewhere you don't want it, screw up the way the cluth grabs, & in general make your bike smoke out the exhaust like crazy.

Good in the fuel though...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

alright. Well I'll have to try that. If I'm rebuilding the carb, do I even need to worry about putting sea foam in the gas right now? Or would there be any benefit?

Comment

As a long time user (5+ years), I feel I have a good handle on the product. I have spoken with the manufacturer and confirmed that it being petroleum based is compatable with gas and oil.

I use it on a continual basis in each tank of gas ( an ounce or two) as it keeps the gas stable if I don't get to ride for a month or more (as happened again this summer) and does keep carbs clean. Before the winter storage, I fill the tank and pour in about a half can. Run the bike for 10 minutes to get gas in the carbs and its good 'til the spring or the next warmish day.

In bikes with gummy carbs or poor idling or throttle response, I use about a half can in each full tank of fuel. Run it all through and repeat. Often this will cure the problem, at least for awhile. No substitute for a carb teardown and cleaning.

In new to me bikes, when I don't know the history of oil changes I put a third to a half can in right away and ride around for at least 100km before draining and dropping in a fresh filter and oil. In the GS, I put it in and didn't get an opportunity to do the oil change until after 1000km or so and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary other than the used oil came out absolutely coal black. The manufacturer recommends using it this way before oil changes to ensure all the passages get cleaned out and it seems to do just that.

Nothing to fear about this product, just don't go over board as "more" is not better. A little bit goes a fair way.

Give it a shot.

Cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            In new to me bikes, when I don't know the history of oil changes I put a third to a half can in right away and ride around for at least 100km before draining and dropping in a fresh filter and oil. In the GS, I put it in and didn't get an opportunity to do the oil change until after 1000km or so and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary other than the used oil came out absolutely coal black. The manufacturer recommends using it this way before oil changes to ensure all the passages get cleaned out and it seems to do just that.

Cheers,
            Spyug

So it might be smart then to put some in the crankcase right before an oil change to help get gunk out? The bike has definitely been abused.

Comment

I use it in my Datsun 240Z and in my Suburban to keep the gas stable. It works well to keep the carb clean on the Z and has seemed to help with the idle, throttle response, and mileage on the suburban. I also use it in my lawn mower and snow blower. I love to anger the neighbors when I run it in the intake ot clean the head and the smoke screen starts.

Comment

I've had mixed results with seafoam in the crankcase. Worked great with a couple of vehicles as far as cleaning a lot of crap out, but I had a '94 F150 with about 150K miles that after seafoaming it would get low oil pressure at idle when the engine was warmed up. I suspect a lot of crap got loosened up and it is currently residing in the oil pickup. At some point I need to yank it and replace, but for now I just give it a little gas at stop lights and such to keep the revs a bit over idle, thus keep the pressure up to a safe level.

Comment

.......... In the GS, I put it in and didn't get an opportunity to do the oil change until after 1000km or so and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary other than the used oil came out absolutely coal black. The manufacturer recommends using it this way before oil changes to ensure all the passages get cleaned out and it seems to do just that......
                  If the oil is coming out black and the product was run for 1000 km, I think I would worry about that amount of particulate matter floating in the oil as abrasives and accelerating the wear on the lubricated parts....?

Comment

re:low oil pressure-
                    This could be due to a dirty oil sending unit.

If one is worried about some "gunk" coming loose inside the engine then NEVER change your oil or use a good quality oil with detergents because it may loosen some "gunk".

It's best to leave the gunk as is, right?

Comment

Flaggo my buddy I'm not sure what you are saying. Do you mean the Seafoam is too aggressive and scouring the metal in the bearings and such?

I reread my post and I realised I left a bit out. The bike had been sitting 7 years and I changed the oil and filter before I ever started it up. I put the Seafoam in with the fresh oil and ran it 1000k or so before the change . So I think it did get all the nasties that had possibly gummed things up as it sat. I didn't see any metal bits in the old oil as I filtered it going into the used bottles so I think things are ok. The bike only had 19000k on it when I got it so it was barely broken in at that point.

I think if you suspect the engine internals are gummed up then a course of Seafoam might be helpful but, as others have said, if the engine is high mileage that might not be such a great idea. For me, I plan on using it in every second or third oil change to keep things clean. I don't think it will hurt.

Cheers all,
                      Spyug

Comment

I just thought that if the stuff was that effective, to ride with it for 1000 km was maybe too much freshly-flushed crap circulating through the system all at once, judging from your description of the oil when you dumped it. It was a query, not a statement. Still not sure about that. What do the instructions say?

Comment

OK, now I get you.

The Seafoam guy I talked to said that you can run it full time in the oil but at a lower concentration of a capful or two. Wouldn't harm the clutch plates which is a major concern you hear raised on this subject and what I really wanted to know.

Leaving the oil in as long as I did with as much Seafoam might not have been wise but I really don't see any problems from it. The fresh oil is now about 500Km old and it still looks yellow and clear so I'm not panicing. I plan on changing it before winter layup and with maybe 2 months ( ok 2.5) left for scooting I might not even get another 1K on it. I never seem to get as much riding in a season as I like as the old health is going downhill....fast.

I guess I have been fortunate with the stuff and haven't had any ill effects but it seems pretty safe for our bikes.

Cheers,
                          Spyug

Comment

...... Before the winter storage, I fill the tank and pour in about a half can. Run the bike for 10 minutes to get gas in the carbs and its good 'til the spring or the next warmish day....

Spyug
                            ...this works exceptionally well for those of us in the north,
                            for a short ride on a nice winter day...

Comment

Working...
                            X