Wondering about gs's when new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering about gs's when new

Say you took a dozen brand new gs 1000's.

Would they all have the same valve shim sizes in to start with?

This is not leading anywhere, I was just wondering about it while doing the shims on the 650. (which was really unlucky, it needs 2 shims, and they are the swaps for one another, but I'm not sticking no cable tie down the plug hole, I'll just buy any old size shim so I can switch the 2 around easier)

Originally posted by Headphase View Post
    Say you took a dozen brand new gs 1000's.

Would they all have the same valve shim sizes in to start with?

This is not leading anywhere, I was just wondering about it while doing the shims on the 650. (which was really unlucky, it needs 2 shims, and they are the swaps for one another, but I'm not sticking no cable tie down the plug hole, I'll just buy any old size shim so I can switch the 2 around easier)
    No, they wouldnt. They may not even be as large as you think they should be. They would be whatever size was necessary to make the clearances within spec. And even then, from valve to valve, the clearances wouldnt have been the same.

Comment

Both of the 550’s I used to own were purchased with less than 1000 miles on the odometer and had never received a valve adjustment before I did it. The shims on these bikes were in the 2.80 range. Usage causes the valves to recede into the head thus thinner shims are needed as the bikes accumulate mileage.

I purchased my 850 with 3500 miles on it and was surprised to find the shims in the 2.60 range. I’m pretty sure this bike had never received a valve adjustment before I did it either so the thin shims must have been in there from new.

FYI, it’s handy to have a thin shim like a 2.40 so it can be installed on valves where the clearance is too small to get a feeler gauge in. The 2.40 shim will allow you to get a clearance reading so the appropriate shim can be calculated.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Just chiming in with some trivia that some may want to know.

Besides the normal manufacturing variances, Suzuki had 2 different cylenderhead suppliers and 3 different camshaft suppliers, and although they were given the same specifications to meet these suppliers had tollerences they had to be within. Some would be at one end of the tollerance and some at the other. This resulted in a difference in camshaft hight to valve seat distance and differing distances from camshaft center to backside surface (opposite the lobe). Though these differences are very tiny they can add up to several thousandths of an inch from bike to bike and valve to valve. Oh yeah, the valve manufacturers had varying stem hights too.

That has been part of the improvements we've seen in motorcycle performance and reliability over the last 30 years. As the manufacturers and supplyers have been able to reduse these variances and design to tighter tollerances, Increasing efficiency.

I just thought this might give you a clearer picture of why we have to do the shim dance.

Comment

all good stuff, can't have too much gs info

thanks gang

Comment

Originally posted by GSexpress View Post
            Though these differences are very tiny they can add up to several thousandths of an inch hundredths of a millimeter from bike to bike and valve to valve. Oh yeah, the valve manufacturers had varying stem hights too.

Now, now, we'll have none of this filthy talk in inches when discussing metric bikes...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Now, now, we'll have none of this filthy talk in inches when discussing metric bikes...
              Hey now, If the manufacturers service manual can accomodate our cultural differences and provide spect in both toungs, we can have the tollerance to accept our non 10based bretheren. (pun intended)

Comment

... and they are the swaps for one another, but I'm not sticking no cable tie down the plug hole, I'll just buy any old size shim so I can switch the 2 around easier)
                Actually you would be better off with an extra shim or two, but you still need to hold the valve down to get the shim out. I have the proper tool, but still prefer using zip-ties.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

aye, I know Steve, thanks, I've got a proper wee suzuki tool thing, from z1, works a treat.
                  I'll get a hold of the odd shim as I go along anyway, just was slightly gutted that only 2 needed changed, and that they were a straight swap. And one of them is a mighty (x) shim, which I am led to believe is made of solid gold, and gets you a tour of the suzuki factory.

Comment

aye, I know Steve, thanks, I've got a proper wee suzuki tool thing, from z1, works a treat.
                    I'll get a hold of the odd shim as I go along anyway, just was slightly gutted that only 2 needed changed, and that they were a straight swap. And one of them is a mighty (x) shim, which I am led to believe is made of solid gold, and gets you a tour of the suzuki factory.
                    Aye indeed. MCeed by none other than Pops Yoshimura and Wes Cooley themselves. In the flesh even. Not lookin so good...but in the flesh.

Comment

X was an in between size

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        Aye indeed. MCeed by none other than Pops Yoshimura and Wes Cooley themselves. In the flesh even. Not lookin so good...but in the flesh.
                        So, that would be animatronics? Maybe leftover robots from out of business Chuckee Cheese franchises?

Comment

I suppose one should really look at an "X" shim as being subpar, because it doesn't match the value stamped on it.

They do come in handy from time to time though, particularly for the anal retentive perfectionist, right Josh?
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

What! What! You saying my shim is sub par!
                            Pistols at dawn

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                              I suppose one should really look at an "X" shim as being subpar, because it doesn't match the value stamped on it.

They do come in handy from time to time though, particularly for the anal retentive perfectionist, right Josh?
                              Whos an anal retentive perfectionist? I have NO idea who you're talking about

Comment

Working...
                              X