spark plug fouling out 82 gs550l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark plug fouling out 82 gs550l

I have one spark plug that is fouling out on cylinder one. I put a new one in and about 13 miles later same problem. wondering if there is some basic checks that I can do before I deside to rebuild carbs. I had the carbs out once to make sure all the jets where the same and they were. I dont have the clamps for the airbox, but since none of the other plugs are having problems I have over looked that, I talked to some people and they said that I might have a vaccum leak but I figured that wouldnt be the problem because then it would be running lean and this plug is black so I am pretty sure that is not the problem but I will get the propane out and check to be sure. I would be grateful if you would shead some light on my sittuation
    Thanks

Ok well I got the trusty propane out and found that the o-rings on the intake side in front of the carburater are leaking. "the two cylinders in the middle". so differnt problem for a differnt day. still need to figure out why I am fouling spark plugs. Also put the clamps on the other side of the carburator still no dice
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM. Reason: adding

Comment

Check first with plug chops, then adjust your mixture screw.

May be a clogged pilot air jet.

Make sure your plug wire is on tight on the plug.

Make sure your vent tubes are not kinked.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Which cyl is fouling ?? If #2 I would suspect a petcock problem, fuel drawn thru the vacuum hose!!

Comment

Alright so I took the plugs out the middle once were pretty lean almost scary lean, doesnt surprise me those were the two cylinders with the leaking o-rings.(that I verified with the propane) cylinder number four didnt look to bad but still lean. so now this has turned into a carb job I think but i still havent figure out what has caused this problem?? I have the carbs off so give me some idea's. Before I took the carbs off I verified that I still had a problem by switching the plugs around, and cylinder one the plug was black and fould out in about two minutes. so I cant understand what would cause that much fuel to enter the cylinder and kill spark plugs.

Comment

#1 either has an oil problem or a weak spark.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              #1 either has an oil problem or a weak spark.
              If it has weak spark wouldnt cylinder #4 have a problem two? they are connect by one coil and it is a wasted spark system. I will have to do a leak test on it and see if that will help me get some where if there is an oil problem. Thanks, I did do compression tests and all cylinders were about the same but that doesnt mean that there isnt a leak

Comment

plug resistor cap resistance??? ( 8K) no more... bad wire on #1

float height on #1 wrong.

because of uneven engine wear,sealing surfaces, etc.. dropping only 1 needle on that specific cylinder may be necessary to get a even plug color on all 4 cylinders.

I do not care to hear opinions on uneven carb jetting. it works when necessary!! read the plugs the engine will tell you what it wants.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                  plug resistor cap resistance??? ( 8K) no more... bad wire on #1
                  Plug wire is not the problem switched the wires around and didnt make a difference.

Comment

How does your needle and seat look in #1 carb? If they are worn you may be getting a too rich mixture into #1. Since you have your carbs apart replace the needle and seat if it is worn, and check all of your float levels, and other needles and seats. Glad you found the air leak on 2 and 3.

Comment

I blew air into the fuel hose with my mouth and it didnt seem to leak doesnt mean that there isnt a small leak though. I pulled the nettle out and it looks like it was making contact with the seat. No pitting or anything like that, as for float height I am not sure what it is suppose to be at so I dont know how to be sure of that.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2008, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Have you performed a compression check across all of your cylinders? If not warm up the engine, remove all spark plugs and screw your tester into the #1 spark plug hole. Hold the throttle wide open and crank the engine until you observe the highest reading on the guage. Note the reading and check the other three cylinders in the same way. If you have good compression on all cylinders that will rule out the chance of your plug in #1 being oil fouled.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Kenny View Post
                          If you have good compression on all cylinders that will rule out the chance of your plug in #1 being oil fouled.
                          I did a compression test on all cylinders and they were with in a couple pounds of eachother 115-120, I am going to do a leak down test just to be sure though. Have to wait tell tuesday to get my hands on one. Thanks

Comment

Well your compression looks to be well balanced so I am ruling out oil fouling. Have your checked your choke plunger at the carb to be sure it is not hung up in the partial, or open position? Just a thought. :-)

Comment

Pull the carbs already and go through them using the tutorial... http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

Get new o-rings for the carbs and o-rings for the carb boots from... http://cycleorings.com/

Sync the carbs when you are done.

The bike is old so this kind of work is never a waste of time regardless of whether it's your main issue or one that is just around the corner.

Once you start crossing off some of these basic maintainence items, you can move forward in diaganosing the problems that crop up. As it is now, you are just guessing.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X