"stuck" mechanical advance bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"stuck" mechanical advance bolt?

I'm swapping out the stock ignition on my 82 550L for a Dyna S unit. Part of the instructions have me removing the stock rotor magnet dohickey (the technical term) and putting on the one provided with the Dyna. I got the old signal generator and timing plate removed easy, but want to make sure about this next bit before I go torqueing the heck out of an innocent bolt.

On the shaft in front of the advance mechanism is the two lobed magnet dohickey. In front of that is the 19mm hex head used to turn the crankshaft for various tests. In front of that is the head of a 12mm bolt which, according to the fiche diagrams, is the bolt which holds the mechanical advance on. Now, I've tried to turn that off of there, but it's not budging with a significant amount of force. Before I upgrade to "determined" and/or "adamant" amounts of force, I'd like to be sure I'm twisting the right bits.

I've got a 19mm wrench on the larger hex head to hold the crankshaft steady, and I'm to turn the 12mm bolt anti-clockwise (lefty-loosey) to remove it. Correct?

P.S. Remind me not to use a flash any more. Every time I do, I see more rust.

You are correct -- hold the big hex, loosen the little one in the normal direction.

It's held in with thread locker, so it takes a goodly amount of torque to break loose.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianMcDonald View Post
      I'm swapping out the stock ignition on my 82 550L for a Dyna S unit. Part of the instructions have me removing the stock rotor magnet dohickey (the technical term) and putting on the one provided with the Dyna. I got the old signal generator and timing plate removed easy, but want to make sure about this next bit before I go torqueing the heck out of an innocent bolt.

On the shaft in front of the advance mechanism is the two lobed magnet dohickey. In front of that is the 19mm hex head used to turn the crankshaft for various tests. In front of that is the head of a 12mm bolt which, according to the fiche diagrams, is the bolt which holds the mechanical advance on. Now, I've tried to turn that off of there, but it's not budging with a significant amount of force. Before I upgrade to "determined" and/or "adamant" amounts of force, I'd like to be sure I'm twisting the right bits.

I've got a 19mm wrench on the larger hex head to hold the crankshaft steady, and I'm to turn the 12mm bolt anti-clockwise (lefty-loosey) to remove it. Correct?

P.S. Remind me not to use a flash any more. Every time I do, I see more rust.
      correct in your assumption mate. some people fit these bolts with a bit of threadlocker to be on the safe side so it may be the case. get a spanner on it or a socket and give it a good crack either with your fist or a weighty mallet, once it has cracked then you should be able to undo it fully
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

It's off

Thanks to all who replied!

Now I just need the right spacer for the rotor (*)

(*) the part previously known as a magnet dohickey.

Comment

Working...
        X