Refitting cams to a GS, which lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refitting cams to a GS, which lube?

When refitting cams on an engine rebuild, what do you guys use to lube the cam bearings? Obviously there's going to be a short time before the oil gets up there on these roller bearing, low pressure things, so you would need to use something beefy.
    I have been recommended various things ( plain engine oil, STP or Wynns oil additive, Lubriplate grease, molybdenum disulphide grease) and am now a bit confused.
    Some experienced advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers.

On several top end rebuilds I have used BelRay Moly Lube Anti seize. It is a thick dark paste that is put on with a brush. I usually change the oil at about 200 miles after rebuild and go with synthetic if the rings have not been replaced. Good Luck, Ed.

Comment

lubriplate in the journals with oil mixed and I`ve used most any cam lob lube at times...at this moment using a big tube I got from Web Cams a few years ago. I do spin the engine and pump oil everywhere before I allow it to crank. I really fill the head up manually before I button it up also. good advice on the early oil change...I usually do it at 50-100 miles. Then again at 1000. Thats just anal me...honestly I change oil much to often.

Comment

I use just a smidge of Bel-Ray assembly lube (it's what the book recommends) covered with regular oil. CAUTION: do NOT get any oil in the bolt holes! The hydraulic lock can easily cause stripped threads and/or cam bolts that loosen up after the oil slowly leaks out.

Comment

I use a moly grease. From memory (I am not at home) this is what the workshop manual recommends.

Comment

I used to swear by STP on all plain bearing services.

Comment

One thing to remember whatever you use in the head ends up on your clutch plates 8O

Comment

Thanks for the replies, chaps. 8)

Comment

Working...
                X