GS1000 slide needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 slide needles

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get replacement slide needles for the stock 78 VM's. Might be a good idea, as the original ones aren't real great as I remember. Some of the coating is coming off of one or two of them. I'm sure it'll start and run when I get it all back together, but could make it a little more rich than desired.

Any ideas, lemme know.

Rudy

Doubtfull. But, if you really want them, find the size, i have some needles floating around here from VMs. they're for 750s, but I dont think the needle sizes were all that different. Could be wrong.

Comment

Dealer ?? or www.sudco.com
      The slide itself ? It would need to be replated
      Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2008, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        Dealer ?? or www.sudco.com
        Doubt you'll get them thru a dealer either. The old VMs had adjustable needles on them, not sure if even sudco sells such a thing anymore, or i think people would have been finding compatables for the CVs, which are not that different other than the not adjustable part...

Comment

You could use the needles from a dynojet kit.... diff taper but should work ok if you get the height right.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            You could use the needles from a dynojet kit.... diff taper but should work ok if you get the height right.

Dan
            Dunno how they would mate with the stock jets, they measured the jets differently as you prolly know. HOWEVER, there IS a DynoJet kit for that bike...not for my 750 which more or less uses the same carbs, not the jets...the bastages...

Comment

I have a set that were taken out of my carbs when I installed the DJ kit. PM me if you still need them.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Not trying to deter you from using the stock needles, and not trying to knock down a potential sale for you Bruce, but if the Kit is available, I say use it, especially if you're going to do pods and a pipe. Jetting those VMs by hand is a FEMALE DOG! Trust me, I know all too well. I *JUST* finally got my jetting where it should be I think.... I think.... Everytime you take those carbs down to change the needle position you'll have to re bench sync and resync since the slide assembly and throttle arm have to come out. Its a PITA

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Not trying to deter you from using the stock needles, and not trying to knock down a potential sale for you Bruce, but if the Kit is available, I say use it, especially if you're going to do pods and a pipe. Jetting those VMs by hand is a FEMALE DOG! Trust me, I know all too well. I *JUST* finally got my jetting where it should be I think.... I think.... Everytime you take those carbs down to change the needle position you'll have to re bench sync and resync since the slide assembly and throttle arm have to come out. Its a PITA
                  I would agree. If you are going with pipe and pods, buy the DJ kit. PERIOD. If you are leaving it stock, I have some nice needles.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Just thought I would check how my question was coming along. WOW!! Didn't know there was a heated debate going on!

Carbs MIGHT have a kit already since it has a Kerker 4-1. I wrote down the jetting info, but forget it now. It's in my "GS1000" box on the shelf. Will check tonight. Will check to make sure they're Mikuni jets too, as that will tell all pretty quickly. Needles might be stock, might not be. Can't really say, though if they are, I'll take up Bruce on his offer.

I plan on keeping the stock airbox and all that nice stuff, but getting the stock fitting K&N that Z1 offers for the bike (current filter is fubared). Would I need to go with a stage 2 for this or something, or does it make much of a difference?

What would I be looking at for cost if I went with the DJ kit? Also, I'm too lazy to go look for a place that sells them, where would I go? To DJ themselves?

Rudy

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                      Just thought I would check how my question was coming along. WOW!! Didn't know there was a heated debate going on!

Carbs MIGHT have a kit already since it has a Kerker 4-1. I wrote down the jetting info, but forget it now. It's in my "GS1000" box on the shelf. Will check tonight. Will check to make sure they're Mikuni jets too, as that will tell all pretty quickly. Needles might be stock, might not be. Can't really say, though if they are, I'll take up Bruce on his offer.

I plan on keeping the stock airbox and all that nice stuff, but getting the stock fitting K&N that Z1 offers for the bike (current filter is fubared). Would I need to go with a stage 2 for this or something, or does it make much of a difference?

What would I be looking at for cost if I went with the DJ kit? Also, I'm too lazy to go look for a place that sells them, where would I go? To DJ themselves?

Rudy
                      If you plan on keeping the stock airbox, the DJ kit will be overkill. They don't make a stage 1 kit forthe 1000 (which is what you would want), only a stage 3. So you will need to adjust your stock parts to get the jetting right.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Try these guys - never failed me yet with Mikuni parts:

79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                          If you plan on keeping the stock airbox, the DJ kit will be overkill. They don't make a stage 1 kit forthe 1000 (which is what you would want), only a stage 3. So you will need to adjust your stock parts to get the jetting right.

So, you'd say they're stock then, so would I as they look to be Mikuni to me. Don't think I want to go for pods just to go for the stage 3. I like low end torque too much. Big difference from my XS400 w/pods and pipes to my stock 650, even taking into account the engine size and weight difference. The 400 screams at higher revs though .

So what you want for those spare needles you have Bruce?

Comment

Stock Mikuni anything in the carbs will be stamped with the square inside a square logo. If its got it, its at least Mikuni, and probably stock.

Bruce have I been misinformed? I was led to believe a Stage 3 kit contained all that is needed in a stage 1 kit as well?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              Stock Mikuni anything in the carbs will be stamped with the square inside a square logo. If its got it, its at least Mikuni, and probably stock.

Bruce have I been misinformed? I was led to believe a Stage 3 kit contained all that is needed in a stage 1 kit as well?
                              With the VM carbs, they only offer stage 3 for the 1000. Most kits DO offer either stage 1 or 3.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
                              X