X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FZ1 YAMAHA SPEEDOMETER ALTERNATIVE

just for reference...

Comment

Anybody seen or used one of these? They look pretty cool.

Comment

sigma speedo

I mounted the pickup on the inside of the fork leg and glued a small magnet from radio shack on the brake disc. I ran the wire up the speedo cable.
        Works perfect and dead on accuracy.
        I tried wireless but it didn't work, I believe it has to be line of sight.

Bill

Comment

Running the wire along the speedo cable is another good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
            Running the wire along the speedo cable is another good idea!
            I didn't have the original speedo cable, so i used the brake line.
            Ed

Comment

Ed,
              I just found one on ebay for $1.00 and another for $11.00 with a temperature reading as well. Unfortunately they cannot give speed beyond 99 km/h but I mainly want it for the clock and to check the accuracy of my present speedo. I think at that price I can afford to play a bit.
              The source is in Hong Kong if anyone else wants to play before buying an expensive one.
              Here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Bike-LCD...QQcmdZViewItem

and here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Bike-Spe...QQcmdZViewItem
              Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2008, 01:09 PM.

Comment

probably the cleanest way to mount the magnet is to get a small cylindrical magnet and counter ink it into one of the brake rotor mounting bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by 76FJ55 View Post
                  probably the cleanest way to mount the magnet is to get a small cylindrical magnet and counter ink it into one of the brake rotor mounting bolts.
                  Why go to all that trouble? I used 4 minute JB-Quick to epoxy my magnet to the rim and I got a nice clean install that hasn't budged in two years...

My .02

Regards,

Comment

i am thinking of installing a Koso GP digital dash in my 85 GS700. I was going to use one on a Lotus replica I was building, but the car has been sold. The digital dash has not only an accurate speedo (many different options for getting the signal - magnet, encoder on stock speedo drive, etc.) but it also has a tach, neutral light, turn signal indicator, temp display, warning lights and even a programmable shift light. I had posted a while ago about anyone having any experience with one but it seems none of the GSR have done it. The speedo is adjusted by telling the CPU what the tire circumference is. I think it will make a great winter project. Koso also has other displays available with fewer features.

Comment

I discovered yesterday that my speedo is off a lot. Mine said we were going 50mph but no one was passing or trying to pass. Come to find out we were averaging 60mph. Then I drove past one of those cop this-is-how-fast-you're-going things. My speedo said 20 and it said 23. I couldn't use the wireless one I have, I think the battery is dying, so I'm gonna get a Cateye Velo 5 mainly because it's inexpensive and I have had good luck with Cateye computers.

Comment

Here are some pics of my Cateye Velo 5 on my bike. I used some super glue to hold the magnets on with the aid of some electrical tape until the glue was dry.

In the last pic the magnets are right next to the sensor.

Woo 81 mph!

Comment

Working...
                        X