No announcement yet.

VM33SS carbs - GS1000S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok will check just to be sure thanks rr.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      On an 8 valve engine, the valve to valve issue is more dangerous than valve to piston with the cam timing wrong. Just so you know. Ray.
      Thanks, Ray, that eases my mind a bit about using the zip-ties.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

jackbob, have you seen these yet?

Billet "Big Banged" Race Cams ("Big Bang" denotes 1 & 4 fire together as well as 2 & 3 firing together...) Typical use would have been in a Speedway chair...
        GS850GT

Comment

Not to hijack this fella's thread, but there's a better head out there for the 1000?

Anyone want to fill me in on the difference between it and the apparently not-as-good one I have on my 78?

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
            jackbob, have you seen these yet?

http://www.trademe.co.nz:80/a.aspx?id=174369567

If those cams are out of a speedway 'chair they will be shocking on the road.
            The GS chair we ran for a while had big bang cams and they worked well on the track.
            I think you might get a few tickets if you ride around with the bike "on cam"
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by groundshock View Post
              Not to hijack this fella's thread, but there's a better head out there for the 1000?

Anyone want to fill me in on the difference between it and the apparently not-as-good one I have on my 78?
              The 78-79's had VM 26 carbs. Later models have CV carbs, which are larger and require a bigger port. The later head can be useful if you are going for pure horsepower, or just want performance carbs cheaper than 29mm smoothbores
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If those cams are out of a speedway 'chair they will be shocking on the road.
                The GS chair we ran for a while had big bang cams and they worked well on the track.
                I think you might get a few tickets if you ride around with the bike "on cam"
                Cheers
                Yeah i would personally stay away from anything like those!! Would like to hear one running though. I was at Phillip Island in 2005 when the Kawasaki GP bikes were running big bang cams - sounded awesome.

Well i checked the cam timing on my machine and it is correct (+ rechecked the valve clearances while the top was off) All correct. I will try plug chops + check the pilot fuel jets and setting.

As an aside - and getting back to the start of my thread, i checked my genuine Suzuki workshop manual - which covers GS models including the GS1000SN (VM "slide" carbs) and the GS1000ST (Which in this case for the "T" features diaphragm carbs but no mention of the VM30SS variant).
                No difference mentioned in regards to the pin count/cam timing ("20th pin"), or cam lobe dimensions.
                However those countries with the GS1000T with slide carbs may have different cams ("19th pin - not the golf course bar!") timing i am guessing. So did Canada also receive the slide carb model ST? As someone said earlier, there was probably no definitive GS1000S as such.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X