BSW30SS Jet Needle Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSW30SS Jet Needle Removal

How do you remove the jet needle from the throttle slide on these carbs?
    The Clymer manual states "carefully remove the jet needle holder and slide the needle and washers out of the throttle slide".
    Maybe I am missing something but I do not see what is holding it in or how to release it.

You need some circlip pliers or some 5 1/2" needle-nose pliers from Sears to reach down to the bottom of the slide and remove the circlip. Once that is removed, the needle can be easily removed. Just be sure you get all the pieces. There should be the circlip, the nylon retainer, the needle, an E clip on the needle, a thick nylon spacer on top of the E clip, a thin metal washer under it and a spring.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      There should be the circlip, the nylon retainer, the needle, an E clip on the needle, a thick nylon spacer on top of the E clip, a thin metal washer under it and a spring.

how can you remember all that
      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by jwebb6906 View Post
        The Clymer manual states "carefully remove the jet needle holder and slide the needle and washers out of the throttle slide".
        Maybe I am missing something but I do not see what is holding it in or how to release it.

How far have you gotten
        do you have the diaphraghm off and the slide assembly in your hand?
        if you do than grasp the slide in one hand and using a good pair of needlenose pliers grasp and pul the nylon cross shaped um thingy outt the slide.

from there its remove a circlip and the needle is free.

there is a fair bit of resistance when pulling htis thing out so dont be afraid.

Comment

you can soak them in chem dip first this will loosen the varnish and they will slide out by themselves when turned upside down.

or you can get get a wooden dowel and gently tap on them to get them out for dipping.

Comment

Slides in carb dip?

I didn't think that the slides should go into the carb dip. Am I wrong?

Comment

If all you are doing is removing the jet needles from slides then dipping is in no way needed.

carb cleaner and acetone do not seemt o have affected the cotaing on mine but its hardly worth the risk

they seem to have a nylon-like coating.

The manual has all the information you need have you downloaded it?

Comment

NOT THE SLIDES! only the emulsion tube or needle jet that has a lot of little holes in it.

Comment

Follow Up

I have the needle removal down to a science now.
                  The trick is to pull on the needle a little while pulling on the needle retainer with pliers. The needle sits slightly in the center of the needle retainer. The needle prevents the retainer from compressing and comng out easily. If you pull on the needle a little it will no longer be in the retainer. The retainer then comes out very easily.

I figured this out after destroying one of the retainers.

Comment

You are right i was talking about the needle seat where the needle rests, definetly do not chem dip the diaphrams. A needle nose pliers to pull up the plastic piece holding the slides is all that is needed. Sorry for the conrfusion.

Comment

Working...
                    X