Fuel bubbling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel bubbling

This past summer while traveling on a very hot day on my 82 GS 650 (24k on it) I filled up the gas tank and then went into the store for water. When I returned the gas was seeping out of the top of the tank around the cap. I opened the cap and the gas was welling up slowly like water out of a natural spring. The bike was on the kick stand so it was tipped to the side. I put the petcock to the main position from reserve and the gas bubbled or belched and the level went down an inch and stopped leaking. Since then I have filled it up less and haven't had that problem again.

The leaking gas emulsified the paint which already had streaks on it from spills from the previous owner. I would like to eventually repainit the tank but I wonder if this problem will ocntinue and damage the paint again.

The petcock is not new as far as I know (I bought the bike in 5/08). Otherwise, the bike performs well after the carbs were professinally cleaned in June. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

This is perfectly normal -- the gas comes from a cool underground tank, then expands when it's sitting in a tank in the sun atop a hot engine.

The gas wasn't boiling or leaking -- it simply expands when warmed like any other substance.

The solution is simply to not fill it as full.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Never fill your tank completely. Gas expands when warm. Not an uncommon occurance. No more than gas expanding and had nowhere to go but out of the vented cap.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

If you have quality paint the occasional overfill and spill onto your paint won't damage the paint if wiped off promptly. Don't ask how I know this.

Comment

it is a worry that the petrol level went down an inch when you set the fuel tap on a different position!
          it means it probably leaked into the cylinders/engine and got mixed into the engine oil

a new fuel tap and an oil change may be in order
          GS850GT

Comment

Working...
          X