First timer SYNC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First timer SYNC

Hey there everyone... I have just picked up my sync tubes and am about to do my first carb sync.. Any ideas helpful hints things I should Avoid?
    There is one hang up that may or may not matter(earl said its no big deal and I believe him) my tach is out of order at the moment and wont be fixed for some time(missing a few hard to find pieces) Anyone out there dont it w/o a tach? OK the floor is open take it away!!!!

P.S. Its an 82 1100gl..THanks

You need to get yourself a auxillary fuel source. I have made a stand with a clear plastic lawn mower gas tank with a inline cutoff....also have my sticks /guages on it. (personally I like guages better but have both and use both) I also run a clear fuel filter inline. It will really help to have the sync screwdriver that works on most bikes. If you will look there is a very small nut on the linkage and a straight slot screw in the center. There should be 3 of them ...thats your adjustment. There is always a set to carb...you adjust all others to it. You do not always set all 4 carbs the same...some models call for 1&4 to be set differently than 2&3. Get a GOOD fan to put on your engine. Lots of bikes recommend setting the idle up to around 1750RPM to adjust. Probably missed several things but hope this helps. Get the adjustment screwdriver you`ll be glad you did.

Comment

I greatly appreciate the response chris. also hope that you are doing well w/ that bad back..( I too am out of work with 2 herniations and a cracked vertibrae) The one thing that concerns me(I have extended the fuel lines on my tank) is the rpm.... I can get it to idle but am not sure what rpm! Is it that important or can I do it at the Idle that I have? Thats my big issue

Comment

The lowest smooth idle you will likely get (depending on how far out of synch your carbs are to start with) is going to be somewhere in the 1000-1300 range. Just set the idle up enough to really smooth things out. That will probably be somewhere around 15-1800 or so and that will do. Its a case of work with whatcha got. :-) You'll be just fine. :-) I put my gas tank on a box that I sit on my work bench beside the bike. That puts the tank about a foot higher than the bike and I hook a long clear plastic line from the tank petcock to the bike. You may want to put a fan in front of the bike to help with cooling, but that really depends on how long it takes you to synch the carbs. It takes me about 5 minutes, and that isnt enough time for overheating to be a problem even in south FL heat.

Earl

Originally posted by bybowtie
        I greatly appreciate the response chris. also hope that you are doing well w/ that bad back..( I too am out of work with 2 herniations and a cracked vertibrae) The one thing that concerns me(I have extended the fuel lines on my tank) is the rpm.... I can get it to idle but am not sure what rpm! Is it that important or can I do it at the Idle that I have? Thats my big issue
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

just what I needed to hear! Thanks yall for your quick and intuitive responses....

Comment

The most important thing to remember is don't rev the engine too high and then shut the throttle quickly. (Like blipping the throttle) The mercury can get sucked into the motor.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

If you are using a mercury stick like motion pro or one of the other models your mercury may seperate with an air bubble. If this happens shut the bike off pull off the tube fom the intake that has the air bubble and gently blow into the tube. Reattach and start the bikeand continue

Comment

You could buy new fuel line and permanently attach one end to the carbs with a clamp. Then cut it in a place where you can attach a fuel filter. The fuel filter is helpful for using as a coupler because its a real pain to work with the fuel inlet on the carbs. You'll need to plug your vacuum line or fold it over and slip a socket over it.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X