Electrical help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical help

OK, bought an 81 GS100L, brought it home ran good. Had it cleaned todday and guy said hey this wire is loose I dont know if I pulled off or not. I cant start bike because no fuel waiting on petcock, looked in manual and dont see in wiring diagram. Here is picture, from I am pretty sure rectified there is bundle of yellow wires and then this on coming off alone. It is black coming out and then someone had spliced a green and at the end of this is a broken connector but I cant see where it would go! Hope someone here knows. Thanks in advance!

Perhaps I am not understanding you entirely. But some comments:

- Fuel Petcock is not an electrical device. Has no wires. Is mechanically opertated , and is vacuum operated.
    ( i think petcocks on Ls are different than the Gs I have had, so I will not comment further on its operation) But definatly you will not fins pectock on wirieng diagram because it doesnt have any wires.

- 3 yellow wires are most likley from a replacement stator (stator, a portion of the charging system). Will look at pictures and comment further.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

That's the ground wire for the regulator/rectifier.
      Connect it to the neg. side of the battery.
      The petcock is another issue.

Bill

Comment

Yeah sorry I threw the petcock in there was just saying cant start to see if all working cause no gas cause no petcock! LOL sorry for the confusing bit

Comment

Further comment:

- that silver-alunimum thing under the battery box is your regulator/recitfyer ("r/r") (an other part of the charging system. The black wire is what is the ground wire (called "earth" in other parts of the world) for the r/r and should be grounded ("earthed", "bonded") to bike frame or battery negitive, and it looks like someone spliced on a longer green wire onto it. Should be grounded somewhere or else the r/r is going to put out its maximum voltage and over time cause problems (but not the problem you are describing now).

- Not certain what you mean by "I cant start bike because no fuel waiting on petcock".
          And again, I am not familair with the petcocks on the Ls. If it was a petcock that I am familiar with on the Gs, I would tell you to try it in the PRIme position (but dont leave it there). I dont know if the petcock on an L has a PRIme position.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Oh, the above responces overlapped.

That r/r ground wire not connected will not be related to it not starting.

With the r/r ground wire not connencted the charging volts will be way high, and (depending on type of battery) may have "boiled" the battery dry of fluid. Perhaps you can check to battery fluid, if way low, that might have some effect on things. Refill with distilled water and see if thing different.

Comment

Thanks. Again sorry to confuse the not starting is just because I have no fuel in the tank. Not related to wire I just wanted to find out what wire was and where it should go before I got tank back together and fired her up

Comment

Oaky, Short answer is as stated above is:
                That green wire (spliced to r/r black wire) should be grounded tobike frame or battery negitive.

Maybe check battery voltage (before starting, at idle and at mid rpm) to see how charging system is doing.

Comment

Thanks`

You guys are the best thanks for the quick and thorough repsonses

Comment

Working...
                  X