Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want a bigger rear tire for my gs550es. I may have found something.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a bigger rear tire for my gs550es. I may have found something.

Hello all. I just joined the forums and already love it.

I have an 86 gs550es. I would like some different rims on the bike. I especially want to go with a bigger tire on the back. I was reading in another topic about someone saying 89-97 katana 600 rims would work. I didn't understand it too much. But I was looking at craigslist today and came across this, which is local to me. http://greenbay.craigslist.org/mcy/815549394.html Would this bike/parts benefit me at all in any way?

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

Travis.

Was looking at the same bike for parts. Would probably work well for you.

Comment

Not sure why you want a bigger tire. For looks? It will have a negative effect on handling, especially if you want to run radial tires like the Gixxer used.

Then you have issues of swingarm and chain clearance, I assume you are hoping to use the front wheel, too. Hope it wasn't damaged in the crash!

I seriously doubt that it'll work, but you never know until you've tried...

At at that price, I have no doubt that you could easily sell enough parts on fleabay to get the $300 back, so it's not such a big risk.

I'm guessing that there's no title because he hasn't paid off the loan, so technically there's a bank somewhere that claims ownership of the wreck anyway (not that they want it in that condition). But if you just want it for parts, it's not your problem.

Be sure to get a bill of sale with it!
      Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2008, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Said it had a Big crash, I would be worried it has bent wheels. Your Just looking at lot of agravation

Comment

I have not done it, but it would look cool. You may be in for some fabricating work but if it does not adversely affect handling why not?

These year range 83-86 GS's look great except for the skinny rear tire, from the back the skinny rear stock tire it makes the GS look like a LIFAN scooter.

Post a thread with pics and you may wind up being the christopher clolumbus for the rest of us with this bike.

You may be able to negotiatie with him for jus the rear set up and get it even cheaper.

Good luck.

Comment

Here is one man's method ..

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post
              I have not done it, but it would look cool. You may be in for some fabricating work but if it does not adversely affect handling why not?

These year range 83-86 GS's look great except for the skinny rear tire, from the back the skinny rear stock tire it makes the GS look like a LIFAN scooter.

Post a thread with pics and you may wind up being the christopher clolumbus for the rest of us with this bike.

You may be able to negotiatie with him for jus the rear set up and get it even cheaper.

Good luck.
              I agree with the way the tire looks. So skinny. I am waiting for a reply. I may go ahead with this and start on it during winter. I'd hate to tear down my bike when there's a little bit of decent riding weather left.

Comment

According to mriddle it's a straight forward swap from that link. That is awesome!

Comment

I have a 1980 gs550e, and I want a wider tire on the rear. Does anyone know how big I can go with the stock rim? The tire size corrently is 110/90-18. I am turning it into a cafe style bike. Any suggestions on tires would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X