83 GS 750 T Brake light issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS 750 T Brake light issue

Hey guys, my brake light just malfunctioned today. The running lights work on in and the strand in the rear bulb is fine but when I hit either the front or rear brake, the brake light does not come on. Checked the fuses, everything is fine. Got any ideas?

First of all, ...

Now go check your ground connections for the rear light.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Did you try another bulb?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The connections are good at all points that I can tell right now. As I already stated the bulb is in good conditino and both strands are intact. I want my brake light back.

Comment

Try a different bulb. It might look ok, but still be bad. after that, use a multimeter to check for voltage.

Comment

OK, let's back up a bit, here. You say "The connections are good at all points that I can tell right now." How are you checking them? If you are just looking at them, maybe even pulling them apart and pushing them back together, that's not enough. Do you have a test light? A good test light and a digital mulitmeter should be two of your best friends when working on old bikes like ours. You only need the test light for this problem.

I will now elaborate on my previous statement:
            Originally posted by Steve View Post
            ... check your ground connections for the rear light.
            Use your test light to verify power at both terminals in your brake light. Connect the ground clip of the light to the negative terminal of the battery. Use the point to verify power at both terminals. If you do not have power at both of them, you at least know where to start looking. If you DO have power at both of them, move your ground clip to the positive terminal of the battery and touch the point of the light to the outside of the bulb socket. The light should come on. If it does not, you have a bad ground.

Do your turn signals and horn work? They are powered by the same fuse as the brake light.

Not enough details in the original message about one thing...you said that when you apply either brake, the brake light does not come on. Understood. Question: does the tail light stay on, or does it go off? If it goes off, it's guaranteed that it's a ground problem.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X