Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turnsignal is acting very strangely,

The bike is a GSX750-F Katana '89

There is a weird problem I'm facing at the moment, my left turnsignal is constant, when I turn it on. I have taken it to a friend of mine who has a lot of experience with electrical systems, but he doesn't know what could be causing this.

Resistance has been checked, wires have been checked, lightbulbs have been changed and seeing as the bike uses the same unit for both turnsignals, and the right one works just fine, we just can't figure out what this might be. The light does blink very slowly, when I start the bike and take it to 7000 RPM. I have changed the fuses so that shouldn't be a factor. Somwhere I heard that the battery isn't charging, but can that really be when I have no problems starting it, or running it. Might the best idea just be to replace the blinker mechanism.

The prehistory is that i droped my bike during a cold morning, and the rear-left turnsignal broke off, and that?s when I noticed the constantness of the light. I changed the light and it worked for about 2 days, then it went dead and I noticed that one of the two wires leading to the front-left light was disconnected, so I plugged it back in. And ever since, I haven't seen it blink, unless I take it to over 7000 RPM.

If you have any insight to what this might be. I would be very happy.

THanks
    Egill Arni

I would guess that you are not getting a good ground connection on that
    t/s that has been broken. You might try removing lens off that signal. get a piece of wire and touch base of bulb and other end to frame some where to see what happens. Good luck.

Comment

I have tried this and no luck I'm sad to say. The ground seems so be working fine. And everything is the same despite.

Comment

The bulb gets warm before it blinks right?

If one bulb is not the same resisance as the other it would not blink as fast as the others. Or maybee something is taking power away from the signals cousing them to run too cool to blink. My GSX-R had a headlight from hell on it. My signals worked slow at idol rpm.

Comment

Hi,
          I had the same problem on my 77' gs750. The right side would blink, but the left side would flash constantly. I was told that it was bad cables, bulps and you name it. In the end I replaced the turn signal relay and the problem was gone right away. It is a very simple operation, and it cost me around 70 danish kroner which is about 9 dollars.

good luck.

Comment

When I had this exact problem I checked all the hard stuff first! Then I looked at the bulbs and found that the heavy (turn signal) filament on the front signal had broken and had fallen across the lighter (running light) filament. The signal would light, but wouldn't blink unless I upped the revs considerably. The bulb was the last thing I considered, 'cause how would the bulb be bad when the lamp would light? But, I guess the resistance was different.

Comment

Thank you all,

It was the lightbulbs!!!, I moved the bulbs from the right side to the left side, and what do you know? Now all of a sudden the right side is constant and the left one blinks.

I would have never thought this was the problem, but it is solved, now I just have to buy a proper lightbulb.

Thanks verymuch everyone, you have just saved me alot of trouble and cash.

Regards,
              Egill

Comment

buy two at a time.

buy two at a time. If they are not the same resistance you may be left with one faster than the other.

Comment

Had the same problem,

Changed the bulb, which looked to be perfectly in order, but after the change everything was OK.

Bulbs are different, and can cause trouble, even if they look to light as they should.!

To blink is a different thing than to light!

Resistance change due to heat, that could be an explanation.

Comment

yes, as many have found the hard way, the stock Suzuki turn signal system is very sensative to bulb wattages, the same problem got me also, I had one burn out and went to the local auto parts place and could not find a bulb with the same number, so I used one that looked identical, bad idea! one side wouldnt flash, ended up having to go to a zuki dealer to get the correct bulb.

Comment

Working...
                    X