Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knots in tailight wiring?

Sorry, didn't take any pics.

Has anyone else noticed that there was one knot tied into each of the rear turn light wiring/tailight wiring? I suppose from the factory. When I replaced the bullet connectors to spades, I noticed them.(It's been a couple weeks ago) I untied them carefully and just let it be.

Any idea why? Maybe to show that they'd been inspected or something?
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

It is always done that way to get the electricity used to going in a spiral, before it has to go through all of the tight little spirals of the bulb filament.
    The bulbs stay cooler and last a lot longer that way.

(;-0)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No kidding?

Get out!!!! Really??

I've learned more in the last couple months here than I have in years!!

(;-0)[/quote]
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yeah.... And if you believe that.................

Comment

Originally posted by carey View Post
          Yeah.... And if you believe that.................
          Of course I believe it.

After all, I know nothing about electricity, or how it flows. I'm young, well sorta young, impressionable, naive, trusting and very handsome!
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            Of course I believe it.

After all, I know nothing about electricity, or how it flows. I'm young, well sorta young, impressionable, naive, trusting and very handsome!
            Well, you sort had me believing you until that last statement. Therefore, there is only one proper response:

The only knots I have seen in a wiring harness were ones that I put there. I have been known to knot the right-side wire and leave the left wire straight so I can tell them apart later.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              It is always done that way to get the electricity used to going in a spiral, before it has to go through all of the tight little spirals of the bulb filament.
              The bulbs stay cooler and last a lot longer that way.
              i thought you needed to have the same number of spirals in the wire as there are in the bulb fillament. only one knot in the wire clearly shows a malpractice at suzuki factory
              GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Well, you sort had me believing you until that last statement. Therefore, there is only one proper response:

The only knots I have seen in a wiring harness were ones that I put there. I have been known to knot the right-side wire and leave the left wire straight so I can tell them apart later.

I'm not fooling about the knots..they were there. Perhaps the po put then there for some reason or another. Just thought someone else had seen this as well.

Also, I really don't know anything about electricity. Other than it's what makes the light switch work.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

The thing you have to watch out for is a square knot as the electricity will go in and back out the same direction.
                  Ed

Comment

They probably knot the wire so if the tail light ever comes loose they dont pull on the whole wire harness. Or something to that effect.

Comment

I'm not fooling about the knots..they were there.
                      Did you read the rest of my post? I have inserted knots myself, but have never seen any put in by the factory.

Also, I really don't know anything about electricity. Other than it's what makes the light switch work.
                      Keep in mind that "electricity" is just a name. What really makes it work is smoke.

Think about it. You touch the wrong thing, you let the smoke out, it doesn't work any more.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

is this a forum to help or to confuse? maybe both at one time?

Comment

Did you read the rest of my post?
                          Yes sir, I did.

Which is why I said perhaps the po put them there for one reason or another. As you did for your purposes.

The post about my electrical prowess and youth was just an attempt at humor, and a bad one apparently.
                          Larry D
                          1980 GS450S
                          1981 GS450S
                          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Thelen82gs550l View Post
                            is this a forum to help or to confuse? maybe both at one time?
                            lotsa cheek-in-tongue kinda humor here
                            PLUS all you need to know about your gs motorcycle
                            GS850GT

Comment

Did you read the rest of my post? I have inserted knots myself, but have never seen any put in by the factory.

Keep in mind that "electricity" is just a name. What really makes it work is smoke.

Think about it. You touch the wrong thing, you let the smoke out, it doesn't work any more.

Always make sure you have something handy while working on electrical problems to catch the smoke, cause you will have to get it back in there to make it work.

Comment

Working...
                              X