Tank capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank capacity

Does anyone know how many gallons my 81 1100EX gas tank would take? Yesterday I started having some problems while she was low on fuel, but I thought she still had some left. My mileage was 124 miles on 4.18 gallons. At 4.18 gallons used, could I have been running low? I have a new/used Pingel fuel cock and am not familier with it. I know that these machines are a gravity feed fuel system, could I have had not enough fuel to provide pressure gravity wise?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Wow! This site is so advanced! It automatically blocked out the naughty word! Lets try this a different way- petcock.
    Currently bikeless
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I thought this one would be easy! :roll:
      Currently bikeless

Comment

5.2 gallons, I believe. I use a pingel and have put as much as 4.8 gallons in there. Does your Pingel have a reserve? I normally go on reserve at 128 miles.

Hap

Comment

Yes, I have a reserve. The bike started bogging quite a bit at 124 miles. I pulled over because I didn't believe that I was out of fuel. Opened up the tank cap and saw that there was some fuel in there, so off I went. Another mile or so and more bogging! So I put it on reserve and it seemed to go okay, but you know these old bikes, even running low on gas can scare you into thinking you need a new stator or something! Maybe the pingel just goes on reserve sooner than the stock petcock did. And maybe it runs out of gas different because with the stock petcock when I ran out and needed to go on reserve, the bike would pretty much die quick. Yesterday I drove about 3 miles with it bogging and what not. Strange.
          Currently bikeless

Comment

I run the pingle dual outlet ( i need the extra line for the nitrous) but I have noticed what you said jethro, they run out differently than the stock petcock. Mine runs out one carb at a time with lots of surging and it takes about two minutes to die completly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
              5.2 gallons, I believe. I use a pingel and have put as much as 4.8 gallons in there. Does your Pingel have a reserve? I normally go on reserve at 128 miles.

Hap
              Holy Smokes, Hapman, what sort of gas mileage are you getting?

I don't know when my 83 GS750 OE petcock goes on reserve.......the tap lever has always been so stiff to turn that I was afraid I would break it off........I have been riding around on "Reserve" for 20 years ( must be a record)!

My tank range for 5.2 gallons is just over 240 miles.

Comment

The factory manual shows 5 US gallons total including the 4.2 US quarts of reserve. In real numbers, 19 liters and 4 liters.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Waters

Hap
                  Holy Smokes, Hapman, what sort of gas mileage are you getting?

I don't know when my 83 GS750 OE petcock goes on reserve.......the tap lever has always been so stiff to turn that I was afraid I would break it off........I have been riding around on "Reserve" for 20 years ( must be a record)!

I'm getting about 40 miles per gallon...not the best but considering how I ride not too bad! :? There is a lot of reserve with the Pingel.

Hap

Comment

I'm getting about 40 miles per gallon...not the best but considering how I ride not too bad! :? ......Hap
                    The thong-induced drag must lower the mileage.......or else the gawking crowds are causing traffic jams.

Comment

speedracer, oops i mean Hap..yes he rides kinda on the fast side .. simon, my fuel selector thing is broken too i keep some pliers under the seat for that

Comment

Are you serious? Am I right in thinking that you are getting exceptional mileage? My bike has never gotten that kind of mileage- of course I have her jetted with aftermarket exhaust and I ride like a criminal. Is something wrong with my bike? I get about 34 mpg.
                        Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by skip[
                          I run the pingle dual outlet ( i need the extra line for the nitrous) but I have noticed what you said jethro, they run out differently than the stock petcock. Mine runs out one carb at a time with lots of surging and it takes about two minutes to die completly.
                          I have had mine do that with the stock PC, it started to surge as one cyl. started to cut out, and had dropped a second cyl. before I got it into reserve.
                          considering that the gas feed is between the middle carbs, it is safe to asume the outer carbs starve first.

Comment

Working...
                          X