Got my new girst bike, 1983 gs400e, couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my new girst bike, 1983 gs400e, couple questions

I just thought I would put up a post of a few questions I had, feel free to tell me to "try searching first", and I will. Just trying to get my post count up, ha ha.

1. The fuel gauge doesn't seem to work, the prev owner said it just stopped working the day she drove it up, either way it doesnt work now.

2. The clutch doesn't fully disengage, and the adjuster at the lever won't adjust enough I guess cause the back wheel still spins in gear.

3. It won't really shift that well when sitting at idle, if you roll it its fine though. Also the shifter connector thingy (tech term) is really wiggly, normal?

I will look this stuff up, but if you know it and are bored fire up a reply! thanks!

YAY FIRST BIKE GS HAPPY TIMES!

There is this thing called the "SEARCH FUNCTION", learn it - love it!

1. Fuel gauge is for wimps that don't know how to reset a trip meter. Put a smiley sticker over the gauge. Problem solved.

2. Clutch adjust is about the easiest maintinence item you will ever find on a motorcycle. It you can't figure out how to do this you shouldn't be riding. Hint: get a manual...and learn how to tighten the cable using one of the barrel stops either at the clutch lever or at the engine case.

3. The shifer "thingy" has a bolt on it. When it's "wiggly" you need a thing called a "WRENCH" to tighten the bolt.

Enjoy your bike and purchase some gear before you damage your body smashing into something.

Oh, and wecome to the GSR.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Welcome,

My rear wheel will spin too when on the centerstand, in gear, and with the clutch disengaged. It can be stopped using the rear brake with no problems. If yours will do the same, I don't think this is a problem. My bike also doesn't shift well when not moving, but this is not a problem when riding the bike. I believe these are somewhat typical behaviors.

-Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        There is this thing called the "SEARCH FUNCTION", learn it - love it!

1. Fuel gauge is for wimps that don't know how to reset a trip meter. Put a smiley sticker over the gauge. Problem solved.

2. Clutch adjust is about the easiest maintinence item you will ever find on a motorcycle. It you can't figure out how to do this you shouldn't be riding. Hint: get a manual...and learn how to tighten the cable using one of the barrel stops either at the clutch lever or at the engine case.

3. The shifer "thingy" has a bolt on it. When it's "wiggly" you need a thing called a "WRENCH" to tighten the bolt.

Enjoy your bike and purchase some gear before you damage your body smashing into something.

Oh, and wecome to the GSR.
        thanks?

I ordered the Haynes manual, only one for this bike methinks.

I tried the clutch adjust on the handle, no go, but if it is normal for the back wheel to spin in gear, then I guess it is ok anyways so, whatevs.

wanted to know more if it SUPPOSED to be wiggly or not, whatevs, I'll just get a manual, who needs a forum, ha.

Thanks though!

Comment

Originally posted by teh_engr View Post
          Welcome,

My rear wheel will spin too when on the centerstand, in gear, and with the clutch disengaged. It can be stopped using the rear brake with no problems. If yours will do the same, I don't think this is a problem. My bike also doesn't shift well when not moving, but this is not a problem when riding the bike. I believe these are somewhat typical behaviors.

-Jack
          sounds the same, just was concerned it may be wearing the clutch while stopped is all.

Comment

so, could I get confirmation that the wheel is supposed to spin, aka clutch is supposed to not fully disengage, up on the center stand?

And i read the manual and it never really mentions the shifter assembly, is it supposed to be wiggly or should it be tight?

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post
              so, could I get confirmation that the wheel is supposed to spin, aka clutch is supposed to not fully disengage, up on the center stand?

And i read the manual and it never really mentions the shifter assembly, is it supposed to be wiggly or should it be tight?
              The rear wheel will spin with the clutch lever in. It's a wet clutch and the oil between the plates is what causes the wheel to spin.

Comment

schweet, that makes sense. I sleep better at night when i know these things

although my 3 week old daughter doesn't like it when I sleep...

Comment

You have a three week old daughter and you are starting to ride your first motorcycle, starting with zero knowledge about bikes???
                  Make sure your life insurance and medical insurance both cover bike wrecks.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

first, I haven't ridden it yet, and i dont plan on it until spring

second, i have been riding a modified moped that can do 80km/hr for 3 years, not a m/c I know, but its something

3rd, i have been working on cars for 12 years, again not the same but still. plus I work in biomedical engineering, so tearing into things an learning all about them is my job.

4th I am taking the msf course in 3 weeks

5th, I only plan to ride on back roads with a top speed of 60km/hr, thus a 400cc and my 240lb ass.

so, in conclusion, go easy on me, I know I have gaps in my knowledge, but thats why I am here. but I am not some 16 year old on a CBR1000rr who just hopped on a bike and took off down the interstate k?

Comment

You'll have lots of fun riding it, and sounds as if your the type of person who likes to maintain it also. I think thats why we all love our GS's, great to ride and fairly easy to maintain. Enjoy!!

Comment

Working...
                      X