Changed all O rings.
    Cleaned jets.
    Good fuel supply.
    New gas.
    New plugs.
    New oiled air filtre.
    Good compression.

Still runs erratically.
    Needs choke to accelerate, runs OK wide open.
    Pops like crazy slowing down.
    Tachometer never comes above 4000, even at max RPM.

1980 GS1000L (g) Shaft.

All comments welcome.

By cleaning the carbs did you dip them overnight in carb cleaner or just spray them out with aerosol? I did that twice and still had to tear them down a third time and dip them. That made all the difference with mine. I also didn't see a valve check/adjustment in your list. That is a must do also. I really is too easy to not do. Check out Basscliffs website for a good how-to.

Best of luck, Parker

Comment

Originally posted by gtemplarbond View Post
      Cleaned carbs.
      Changed all O rings. Intake runners / tubes replaced?
      Cleaned jets.
      Good fuel supply. In-tank or in-line filter or both?
      New gas. New petcock?
      New plugs.
      New oiled air filtre. Air box sealed tightly?
      Good compression.

Still runs erratically.
      Needs choke to accelerate, runs OK wide open. LEAN
      Pops like crazy slowing down. LEAN
      Tachometer never comes above 4000, even at max RPM. LEAN

1980 GS1000L (g) Shaft.

All comments welcome.
      I would suggest another shot at the carb clean...piolet circuits plugged? You are running out of fuel for some reason or combination of reasons. Could be a bad petcock not letting enough fuel from the tank. Could be float height settings...how did you measure them, gasket on or off and measured from where.

Are the intake runners in very good to great shape (not sure if you have an 8 or 16v engine) if 8 there are some more o-rings.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
        By cleaning the carbs did you dip them overnight in carb cleaner or just spray them out with aerosol? I did that twice and still had to tear them down a third time and dip them. That made all the difference with mine. I also didn't see a valve check/adjustment in your list. That is a must do also. I really is too easy to not do. Check out Basscliffs website for a good how-to.

Best of luck, Parker
        No, I didn't dip.
        I haven't adjusted the valves yet, I suppose I should.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
          I would suggest another shot at the carb clean...piolet circuits plugged? You are running out of fuel for some reason or combination of reasons. Could be a bad petcock not letting enough fuel from the tank. Could be float height settings...how did you measure them, gasket on or off and measured from where.

Are the intake runners in very good to great shape (not sure if you have an 8 or 16v engine) if 8 there are some more o-rings.
          16V
          I didn't measure the float height but I did test by blowing and using my fingers to hold three floats up the let one down slowly, sounds primative I know, but i've always done it like that.
          Seems that I may need to take these babies off again.
          The good news, I now know how to remove the carbs in about 10 minutes.

Comment

Gas Tank

I am currentley working on a 78 gs1000 and after doing the carbs and getting it running I found out that there was sludge and rust flakes in the gas tank.So regardless of anything else I still had fuel flow issues.After cleaning out the gas tank,cleaning the interior fuel filter(at the petcock)adn adding an inline fuel filter,I have eliminated the fuel supply issue.If you still have the interior filter,it will clog fairly easily. Good Luck

Comment

Like Dave said, you are running lean. I would start by taking the carbs back off and completely disassembling them and dipping each body and the jets overnight. I was having the popping also until I did this. I picked up a gallon sized can of the carb parts cleaner at a local auto parts store for about 25 bucks, not sure what you have locally but I got it at Murrays. If you don't have some feeler gauges pick up those while your in there to check out your valves. The adjustment is with a screw and lockwasher if I remember on a 16V.

Best of luck, Parker

Comment

Originally posted by plotski View Post
                I am currentley working on a 78 gs1000 and after doing the carbs and getting it running I found out that there was sludge and rust flakes in the gas tank.So regardless of anything else I still had fuel flow issues.After cleaning out the gas tank,cleaning the interior fuel filter(at the petcock)adn adding an inline fuel filter,I have eliminated the fuel supply issue.If you still have the interior filter,it will clog fairly easily. Good Luck
                If the tank is rusty, you need to repair it properly or the rust will just come back. Fuel filters are a poor solution since the ones that flow well enough for a gravity feed fuel system also let particles pass through them which is not good.

Regarding the OP, quick spray out carb cleaning jobs almost always are a Long-cut, not a shortcut. As others have said, do the job right and don't forget an o-ring kit from cycleorings.com.

Good luck.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i dont think yours is 16 valve. i think its 8 valve. i thought G models didnt come with 16 valves.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post

.....Are the intake runners in very good to great shape (not sure if you have an 8 or 16v engine) if 8 there are some more o-rings.
                    Hi Dave,
                    What are "Intake Runners?" Do you mean the intake boots that fasten to the airbox?

Comment

Originally posted by Flaggo60 View Post
                      Hi Dave,
                      What are "Intake Runners?" Do you mean the intake boots that fasten to the airbox?
                      I think he is talking about the ones attached to the head. There is a large O-ring between the head and the rubber boot which typically leaks. Cycleoring.com sell new ones.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
                        i dont think yours is 16 valve. i think its 8 valve. i thought G models didnt come with 16 valves.
                        I think you're right, I assumed that DOHC meant 16V, guess I'm thinking too modern.

Comment

Working...
                        X