1980 GS1100E...I think Help with ID.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100E...I think Help with ID.

I recently rescued a 1980 GS1100E(?) from the boneyard the other day. The drivetrain was complete and motor was free. I am taking it on as a winter project to see if I can get it road worthy.

I need help in identifying exactley what I got. The frame is dated 11/79 with a GSX110-XXXXX serial number. The motor is the same GSX110-XXXXX but does not match the frame VIN. Is this common? The best guess is that it's a 1980 GS1100E..what do you think? The frame is different from my 1980 GS1000GL cause the side covers don't fit and it differs in other areas.

I need a starter clutch apparently and I am not sure which one to get?

I need all the plastic and fuel tank as well as a seat.

I need a rear master cylinder-complete.

I need the signal generator cover and the govenor with bolt, washer and the rotor...if that's what it's called.

I need head light bucket, front and rear blinkers and tail light.

I need an oil pan cause the oil plug is stripped.

I think the front forks are have been changed as they don't have the dampning adjustment at the bottom. They do have air adjustment at top.
    I have a 1980 GS1000GL that has the same air forks.

I am finding some stuff on EBAY but it looks highly priced. Does anyone have anything that will work and won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Enormous undertaking for a project but keeps me busy and I like workin' on old stuff anyways..........

Sounds like it is most likely an '80 GS1100E. This is a fiarly broad sttement and should be checked on any perspective parts, but most of the parts from the 80-82 GS750E and GS1100E are interchangable, disregarding engine parts.

Comment

1980-81 body parts are the same, the engine covers should be the same from 1980-1982 are the same except for the valve cover as fara as I know. Bikebandit.com will have all of the stuff you need and the microfiches will allow you to cross check part numbers for stuff on eBay. You should be able to use an '82-83 1100E headlight bucket if you get the whole headlight assembly. Sounds like a pretty big project. Good luck.

Comment

The number you listed is not the VIN. The VIN is impressed in the fork tube next to the decal. You can decode the VIN and find out specifically which model you have. The VIN should start with JS1G...

good luck on your project and on rescuing a GS from getting shredded!

steve a

Comment

Give Willie's Cycle Salvage in Alabama a call. They usually have whatever you need.

Comment

Working...
          X