Replace cam bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace cam bolts?

Finished with replacing the head gasket, valve seals, base gasket, etc. looking to start buttoning it up. Noticed on past threads the potential of the camshaft holding bolts breaking.

What about replacing all 16? Will this help prevent the braking?

If the threads are good reuse them. Just remember to tighten the four bolt cam caps first evenly till snug. Do not overtighten.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If someone has been in the head before then pay very close attention to elongation of the bolts. Over tightening of the cam bolts is common. If you see signs of elongation get new bolts. Stretching the bolts will make them brittle and subject to snap.

Comment

those bolts, if they do snap, usually they snap close to the bolt head - so you can always take the caps off and take the broken bolt out with a pair of pliers
        however, those bolts are under a lot of stress and on a high mileage bike that one intends to keep it pays to replace them
        GS850GT

Comment

Also, be sure to pay attention to the locating dowels in the cam caps.

A member of this board (we won't mention mriddle's name) got a very good deal on an 1100E because it came with a 3/4 cam.

No, I'm not talking about a race cam, I'm talking about three fourths of a cam. One of the locating dowels had fallen out of the cam cap when it was being installed, and dropped down, under the cam. When the engine was started, it got caught by the rotation of the cam, then wedged between the back of the cam and the head, breaking the cam at the inside edge of the cam bearing. Surprisingly, we have found no other apparent damage that can be attributed to this mishap, but when I get home next week, the engine will be coming apart (again) so that we can measure it for new rings to cure its smoking habit. Even though it's 25 years old, it too young to smoke.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            A member of this board (we won't mention mriddle's name) got a very good deal on an 1100E because it came with a 3/4 cam.
            tripple
            GS850GT

Comment

If you are conserned - Easy just change them for piece of mind

Comment

Also check the thread in the aluminium head. On my exhaust cam side I had 4 of the 8 thrads in the head buggered. In the end had to fit another head as these holes had been helecoiled before and they had pulled out and there was no more room to do a repair. So make sure you check this area carefully and I would replace the cam bearing bolts considering their low cost and torque to specs. When a camshaft comes adrift at speed it's not a pretty sight.

Comment

Originally posted by loungeguy69 View Post
                  If someone has been in the head before then pay very close attention to elongation of the bolts. Over tightening of the cam bolts is common. If you see signs of elongation get new bolts. Stretching the bolts will make them brittle and subject to snap.
                  I had suspected that that is what happend on the posts I read about. Not wanting to be a member of the "Broken Bolt Club"---yet, I was weighing in on the small investment. I've joined the "Stripped Pilot Jet" club already and narrowly avoided the Stripped Screw Chapter on this project.

On a car project, I already have dealt with a broken head bolt (I didn't do it, it broke during use, honest. I tore it down to drill out and replace.

I don't care for any of them. I ordered new bolts. Steve, thanks for the insight on the dowel pins. Tonight I'll reinventory them and place them in the head before placing the blocks on.

Comment

The cam shaft cap bolts only need 6-8.5 ft/lb of torque. Very easy to drastically overdo if you don't use a torque wrench. A lot of inexprerienced people think you have to crank the **** off these bolts because they're holding the cams in. Hence it's fairly common to see damaged bolts.

A couple of bucks for new bolts is cheap insurance.

Comment

Working...
                    X