I give up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I give up!

I know i dug my grave on my 80 GS750L when i put fancy chrome pod filters on it.Then dug a little deeper when i cut the rusty exhaust off and made straight pipes.Well i did install a stage 3 jet kit and rebuilt carbs using all new o rings and gaskets.Also set the float height to spec using Bikecliff's website to guide me.#4 cylinder just doesn't sound right ever.The other cylinders have a nice rumble but old #4 doesn't it just kinda sputters.Then i thought maybe the valves arent adjusted so i adjusted them to spec(thanks again Bikecliff)Then i thought maybe i wasn't getting a good spark on #4 not the case.Then i thought i had a dead cylinder there all reading high 90s across all cylinders.
    The bike idles like crap,take offs are slow with no exelleration but top end roars!A lot of good it does in big city traffic.Then to top everything off it back fires like crazy on deceleration.So i bought another air box (thanks jedonly)because mine was missing parts when i got the bike.Will this help?What am i missing guys?Ive been fighting my bike all summer!If i cant get this thing running right its outta here!!!
    Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2008, 05:37 PM.

With the straight pipe I'd try the needle on the second from bottom notch. I'd also go up one step on the pilot jet.
    The #4 sounds like there is still crud in the pilot circuit. If you spray carb cleaner in the pilot air jet it should come out the pilot jet. If not it won't idle on that cylinder.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      With the straight pipe I'd try the needle on the second from bottom notch. I'd also go up one step on the pilot jet.
      The #4 sounds like there is still crud in the pilot circuit. If you spray carb cleaner in the pilot air jet it should come out the pilot jet. If not it won't idle on that cylinder.
      I will try this.Thanks ,I'm at my wits end here!

Comment

More than likely your still running lean. How do the plugs look? The carbs
        are still probably clogged. How does it start when the bike is cold? I've been having a hard time getting mine running right. I got so frustrated I ended up taking the bike to a my mechanic. Just got tired of wasting time on it. I figure its worth it just to pay him so I can get it on the road.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2008, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Its starts up easy no choke.The plugs are a dark brown.

Comment

healthy compression figure is above 130psi
            100psi is serviceable limit
            high 90s would still work ok in the stock configuration but with your mods you'll have a helluva time getting it to work well at low revs

it your configuration i wouldnt bother trying to jet it correctly before rebuilding the top end
            GS850GT

Comment

Did you vacuum sync the carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                healthy compression figure is above 130psi
                100psi is serviceable limit
                high 90s would still work ok in the stock configuration but with your mods you'll have a helluva time getting it to work well at low revs

it your configuration i wouldnt bother trying to jet it correctly before rebuilding the top end
                Ah man i didnt want to hear that!

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                  Did you vacuum sync the carbs?
                  I havent done that!Will that help?

Comment

when you test compression you need to test it at Wide Open Throttle. if you tested with the throttle closed that could explain the low readings.

Comment

Originally posted by drphilgood View Post
                      I haven't done that!Will that help?
                      Considerably...
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by 76FJ55 View Post
                        when you test compression you need to test it at Wide Open Throttle. if you tested with the throttle closed that could explain the low readings.
                        AHA i will test the compression at wide open throttle tomorrow.Ya i tested it at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                          Considerably...
                          Hmm im thinking that may be alittle in depth,Ill check out bikecliffs site and see if he has anything on syncronizing carbs

Comment

Ok do i do a bench sync or the vacuum sync or both?

Comment

If you were getting 90psi at idle when warm, you're likely going to be in good shape. Test it anyway at WOT. I think your pilot circuit is still clogged. You have to be meticulous. They are tiny TINY little holes in the pilot system. You may still be lean, but that wouldnt explain one cylinder being bad, and you really cant bother playing with carb sync and tuning untill you have it firing on all four at idle and off idle. Check your compression, do another clean, should be able to keep the orings if you are carefull. Oh, another tip, when you put those orings in again, oil em up a little bit. I have had to pull jets out with new orings only to find they were chewed up from the turning them in. Oil makes things go in nicely. Little tip i learned from Steve...

Comment

Working...
                              X