Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock vacuum line to inject Sea Foam?

Hey all,
    So I've been trying to clean out the internals of my motor since I pulled the carbs and saw quite a bit of carbon build up. I've already run a can and a half of Sea Foam in the gas tank but it hasn't done much. I'll bet the previous owner never took the bike above 6k rpm. It's pinging a little too at lower rpm and open throttle. So anyway, I want to use the Sea Foam Deep Creep but I need a good way to inject it equally into all the cylinders (you spray in a good amount into a warm running motor then let it sit for 5 minutes with the motor off) so I thought the vacuum for the petcock might do it but I have no clue if that leads to the intake ports. Otherwise, I can of course remove the airbox and spray directly into the carbs BUT I'M TRYING TO BE LAZY! Ha. Let me know what you think.

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
    Hey all,
    So I've been trying to clean out the internals of my motor since I pulled the carbs and saw quite a bit of carbon build up. I've already run a can and a half of Sea Foam in the gas tank but it hasn't done much. I'll bet the previous owner never took the bike above 6k rpm. It's pinging a little too at lower rpm and open throttle. So anyway, I want to use the Sea Foam Deep Creep but I need a good way to inject it equally into all the cylinders (you spray in a good amount into a warm running motor then let it sit for 5 minutes with the motor off) so I thought the vacuum for the petcock might do it but I have no clue if that leads to the intake ports. Otherwise, I can of course remove the airbox and spray directly into the carbs BUT I'M TRYING TO BE LAZY! Ha. Let me know what you think.
    It will only put your SeaFoam in number 2 cyclinder...since each carb has it's own intake...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Tell us more - just what are the problems here, anyway?

If you're pinging, it's because you're too lean or you need to downshift - keep the revs over 3500.

If the motor is dirty inside, change the oil more often

If you want to clean the inside of the cylinders, Marvel Mystery Oil or something similar placed in the cylinders via the spark plug holes is a better idea than Deep Creep
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Detonation is typically caused by advanced timing. Is the timing adustable on your bike and did you check it with a timing light? If possible, you might want to move up a grade of fuel and retard the ignition a couple of degrees. I'd continue with the Seafoam in the gas as well and see if the situation improves as the Seafoam has a chance to work.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I put it in a spray bottle and sprayed a fine mist into the airbox, not sure how much it worked though.

Comment

Listen to Baatfam. The vacuum line only goes to #2 cylinder.

Before we all guess: What bike do you have? What's the condition (apart from running like crud)?.

Comment

Thanks all. The bike is an 83 gs1100ed and it's basically running great. I know I need to check the timing but I'm also pretty sure the pinging is a result of the dirty chambers. They're pretty damn dirty! The carbs on the other hand are very clean and the bike runs like a champ in every other respect. I'm going to do a half can of Sea Foam in a half tank of gas and see if that helps. I'll also look at the plugs and see what they tell me. Regardless of the way the bike is running I want to clean the internals a bit more.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
                Otherwise, I can of course remove the airbox and spray directly into the carbs BUT I'M TRYING TO BE LAZY! Ha. Let me know what you think.
                The "lazy way" is to drain the carb bowls and then fill them with pure gumout via the gravity fuel line (funnel) and let soak then drain again. If you want you can run the bike with open throttle on the pure gumout until the gas returns to run normal again. Runs like crap and lots of white smoke but will clean out the whole system including combustion chambers.

I never tried using "Seafoam" that way direct but heard it works the same only much more expensive than other fuel products just to strip away goo and carbon. I only use it in the tank with an inline fuel filter as once broke loose alot of rust particles in the tank or screen and caused bike to run like crap at mid-full throttle until I drained the bowls again.

Comment

Check the intake boots. My 850 used to ping, until I replaced the boots

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                    Check the intake boots. My 850 used to ping, until I replaced the boots
                    Spray WD40 around the boots while idling. If it smooths out you have a leaking boot or two. Don't forget to wipe 'em off afterward.

Comment

Working...
                    X