Terrible Clicking Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible Clicking Noise

I have a 1982 Suzuki GS 650G. I drove it for about four years, after awhile I began driving it very hard and noticed a weird noise coming from the engine area.

The noise got louder and louder until it became a clear clicking noise. The clicking noise is very fast and sounds like metal hitting metal. When I drive the bike hard it the engine dies and it takes about 20 minutes until it will start again.

I took the bike to my local mechanic and he charged me about $500 to tell me that the cam chain was stretched out. He said the cam chain was stretched so far that the tensors couldnt fix the problem and I needed to replace the cam chain.

I have no idea what cam chains are or tensors or how they work or anything. I want to save the bike but have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any advice for me or know of any tutorials on cam chain replacement? The shop wants over $1000 to fix it and I bought the bike for $650.

Thanks, and once I track down a video camera I will try to upload a video for you guys to see.

It has about 25,000 miles and the clicking noise seems to get louder as I twist the throttle more.

-Michael Campbell
    Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2008, 05:00 AM.

Originally posted by campbmic View Post
    I have a 1982 Suzuki GS 650G. I drove it for about four years, after awhile I began driving it very hard and noticed a weird noise coming from the engine area.

The noise got louder and louder until it became a clear clicking noise. The clicking noise is very fast and sounds like metal hitting metal. When I drive the bike hard it the engine dies and it takes about 20 minutes until it will start again.

I took the bike to my local mechanic and he charged me about $500 to tell me that the cam chain was stretched out. He said the cam chain was stretched so far that the tensors couldnt fix the problem and I needed to replace the cam chain.

I have no idea what cam chains are or tensors or how they work or anything. I want to save the bike but have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any advice for me or know of any tutorials on cam chain replacement? The shop wants over $1000 to fix it and I bought the bike for $650.

Thanks, and once I track down a video camera I will try to upload a video for you guys to see.

It has about 25,000 miles and the clicking noise seems to get louder as I twist the throttle more.

-Michael Campbell
    Try a valve adjustment first.

It may be you need a new chain but it's hard to believe that a bike with low miles even after sitting for awhile would need a new chain.

Start with the small stuff first others will give you more detailed advice on your particular model.

Hope this helps

Comment

Any tutorials for valve timing adjustments?

Comment

Here are a couple of pics of a camchain installed in an engine.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

another one
          Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

In the first pic the chain is draped over the engine. In the second one it is around the camshafts. Anyway you look at it, it's gonna require some engine teardown. I would suggest getting a repair manual for your engine, look up the procedure for replacement of the chain and/or adjustment of the tensioner. Your tensioner may not be working properly.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2008, 05:24 AM.

Comment

I going to try and take a look at the cam chain. It seems fairly easy to get to does anyone have a link for a manual by any chance? I downloaded a manual for a gs 1000 but I would like one for my bike thanks!

Comment

i bet you do not need a new camchain

on some models you can measure the chain stretch just by removing the valve cover and measuring the distance between a number of chain links

i would take the camchain tensioner off and inspect it for proper function

bikecliff website has a number of manuals to download

btw, a camchain noise is usually described as a "rattle" so if you're hearing a "ticking" you may not have a camchain-related problem at all. also, the camchain rattle is most prominent at idle and gets quieter when under load.
                Last edited by psyguy; 09-03-2008, 07:07 AM.
                GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                  i bet you do not need a new camchain

on some models you can measure the chain stretch just by removing the valve cover and measuring the distance between a number of chain links

i would take the camchain tensioner off and inspect it for proper function

bikecliff website has a number of manuals to download

btw, a camchain noise is usually described as a "rattle" so if you're hearing a "ticking" you may not have a camchain-related problem at all. also, the camchain rattle is most prominent at idle and gets quieter when under load.
                  Camchains last forever in most cases too.
                  Post your location, someone on here will likely be close to you and would be happy to take a look for you.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i, too, doubt it is the camchain. adjust the valves first, there are tutorials all over here to tell you how to do it....try bikecliff's site, as mentioned. dont pay any more mechanics any more money.
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Adjusting the valves will give you access to the cam chain and it should be pretty sloppy if it is the culprit.

Comment

Here's a link to Basscliffs (bikecliff) website.

Theres a link to a manual for your bike there.

I'd also recommend checking the function of your auto cam chain tensioner. There is a good writeup in the manual on this. You can also see bwringers writeup on replacing the seals on his site.

Good luck.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all of the feedback this is my first day on this site and its amazing to see how many people there are with these bikes. Anyways, Im from Dallas and I'll work on the bike tonight when I get off work and Ill let you guys know what I find! Thanks again.

Comment

Right now I have my spark plugs off, my breather cover, and valve cover off. I'm using a fairly good video tutorial;

I can see the top of the cam chain and it looks tight to me, I guess I don't know what its suppose to look like but it doesnt seem to have any slack in it. How do you test to see if your cam chain is tight enough?

Will I need any special tools or anything to do the valve adjustment? Ill do a search for tutorials later but does anyone have any links for valve adjustments for my particular bike? Also if anyone has any advice let me know! Thanks!

Comment

bikecliff website tells you all you need to know - there are various tools you need - the first is the feeler gauges that go down to 0.03mm
                              adjusting the valves is the same for all gs 8valve motors
                              good luck
                              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                              X