No announcement yet.

Terrible Clicking Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure you stuff a rag or something in the cam chain tunnel to make sure you don't drop anything into the crankcase while running valve clearances.

Comment

Well, all of my valves are between the recommended clearance (.03-.08) the number 3 intake valve is kind of loose around .1 but I figured it wasn't enough to do anything about.

So where should I go to next?

Comment

I had a petcock that clicked and the bike would not start after dying on the highway for about 20 minutes.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

well at least your valves are in spec

some models are known to have a cam-float related noise - where the cams "float" left-right (from side to side of the engine)

dont get scared - it's not as serious as it sounds and may not need a fix at all

now, other than that, you may have a worn connecting rod big-end bearing on one (or more) cylinders, but that noise is more of a "clanck" than a "tick" - lol !
          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            I had a petcock that clicked and the bike would not start after dying on the highway for about 20 minutes.
            now, chef ... you serious, or not?
            GS850GT

Comment

Serious if it's just a click.
              Not a tick, clunk or knock.
              $1000 to change a petcock. I'm in the wrong business.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Well heres a bit of an update...

After testing the valve clearance I tried to stat the bike (with the plugs off) the cam chain spun, the valves turned and everything but the loud ticking/clanking wasn't there!

I put the plugs back in and the bike started up and the ticking/clanking began again. I pulled one plug at a time and kept the bike running on three spark plugs and the ticking/clanking remained no matter which spark plugs were on.

So, does this mean anything to anyone?

I don't know anything about how engines work but the noise only happens when the pistons are firing and no matter which pistons fire the noise remains so....Thanks in advance to whoever responds!

EDIT: After doing some research it sounds a lot like this--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBQ02...eature=related
                I really think that it may be a "main rod bearing" or something along that line
                Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2008, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Any chance you have an exhaust leak at the head? That has been known to make a ticking noise. If you arent sure how old your exhaust gaskets are, Id pull em and put new in, then torqure to proper spec. Cam walk, where the cam shifts from side to side, would generally go away with throttle applied as the cam chain tightens and pulls the cams in line. Not saying thats NOT whats happening, but I would check other things as well.

Comment

Originally posted by campbmic View Post
                    I don't know anything about how engines work
                    well, you seem damn good at investigative work!

my bet is now on the cam-float

now if only chef would stop mocking around and give some advice , or somebody else... cos i kinda feel alone on this one and may be totally off mark
                    GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Any chance you have an exhaust leak at the head? That has been known to make a ticking noise.
                      i hope it's something that simple!

tck, how does this work? (havent heard of it yet )
                      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                        i hope it's something that simple!

tck, how does this work? (havent heard of it yet )
                        How does what work? A gasket leak at the headers?

Comment

Could be a blown head gasket or a leaky header.
                          Feel around the cylinder head gasket and feel for air.
                          Also around the header.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            How does what work? A gasket leak at the headers?
                            what i meant to ask was HOW a leaky gasket produces the ticking sound
                            just by being loose in between the head and the header?
                            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                              what i meant to ask was HOW a leaky gasket produces the ticking sound
                              just by being loose in between the head and the header?
                              Yes, a forced "puff" of air is escaping between the header and the gasket. I do mean forced too.. usually, when they get bad, its more like a hiss, but if its just starting, it could very well make a ticking noise. Its tough to say tho, without hearing it for myself. We take for granted that when someone describes a noise, I assume when someone talks about a "tick" that they are talking about what *I* would call a tick. Not a ping, which could be detonation, or a knock, which could be piston slap from a bum crank or rod bearing. Bill is right as well, could ALSO be a head gasket leak. I would advise a compression test right off, before any thing else is done. Its the only way you can rule that out for sure. Beyond that, you could also, with the piston at TDC, push on it with a dowel that will fit into the plug hole. If the piston moves, you have a bad rod bearing likely...

Comment

Originally posted by campbmic View Post
                                Well heres a bit of an update...

After testing the valve clearance I tried to stat the bike (with the plugs off) the cam chain spun, the valves turned and everything but the loud ticking/clanking wasn't there!

I put the plugs back in and the bike started up and the ticking/clanking began again. I pulled one plug at a time and kept the bike running on three spark plugs and the ticking/clanking remained no matter which spark plugs were on.

So, does this mean anything to anyone?

I don't know anything about how engines work but the noise only happens when the pistons are firing and no matter which pistons fire the noise remains so....Thanks in advance to whoever responds!

EDIT: After doing some research it sounds a lot like this--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBQ02...eature=related
                                I really think that it may be a "main rod bearing" or something along that line
                                What do you guys think of this?

Comment

Working...
                                X