Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks tck

campbmic, that sounds really bad in that video
    if yours is as bad - time to replace the engine or tear into it to find out more about the problem

i was hoping my guess about the bad bearing was wrong, as it doesnt happen that often, but maybe it is a bad bearing after all - but i would expect that taking a plug out one at a time would make the noise change, not stay constant
    GS850GT

Comment

bumps anyones?

Comment

Originally posted by campbmic View Post
        bumps anyones?
        You can somewhat test for a bad rod bearing by doing what I described above, in using a dowel that will fit into the spark plug hole and pressing on the questionable piston crown. Best to do this with that piston as close to TDC as you can eyeball. If it moves when pressed with the dowel, you likely have a bad rod bearing. If so, the fix would involve splitting the cases, not an easy task for a fledgling mechanic, but not impossible either if you have the patience to learn and the tools, including the MANUAL. If not, start looking for a new engine. If you think it might in fact be the cam chain, you can measure it pretty easily, but you will want a MANUAL to assist you.

Comment

Originally posted by campbmic View Post
          bumps anyones?
          Sure. Here ya go ...

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

find a way to record the sound and post it here if you are not sure the noise is the same as in that video

measure the cam chain by removing the valve cover and make sure the tensioner works properly
            GS850GT

Comment

If anyone is still wondering about this thread it turned out to be a spun main bearing on #3

Comment

Working...
              X