Tach Gremlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach Gremlins

My tach on the GS700 (electronic) works fine when I go thru the rpms quickly, but if I do a 4th or 5th gear roll on, it will hit 6k then back off to 5500, then jump back up when I get near 7k (I think it kinda jumps around a bit right in there, and I don't tend to go that fast for very long. So what's going on, is it repairable?

Is it an electronic tach? Like the 1150 of the same year.
    Sound a lot like the problem kz came up with a fix for on his 1150. He had to replace a capicitor (sp) I believe.

Might ckeck this and see if it applies.

Comment

Pete is right. The electronic tach board on the 1983/85 GS750/700's looks identical to that on the GS1150's. I just had the unit out of my 1983 GS750ES last weekend, and the board matches exactly the photo KZ provided on his referenced website. KZ discovered that replacing the 2 capacitors (each of different spec) cures the problem. In a recent "PM conversation", KZ told me that he has 15,000kms on the repaired tach without problems. I believe that Dink may have also followed KZ's tach fix successfully. I will be replacing the capacitors on my original unit soon, as I expect my NOS replacement (see recent "Good things" thread in General Discussion section) will suffer the dreaded "bouncy tach" disease eventually.

Kz's post, which Pete just referenced, is a really good "how to". All of us who suffer (or eventually will suffer) electronic tach problems owe KZ a huge THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks, looks like I'll be soldering this weekend.

Comment

I'm not much on electronics, but wasn't it much easier when you just replace the tach cable?

Comment

Maybe you're right, but oil doesn't leak out of a wire.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
              Thanks, looks like I'll be soldering this weekend.
              Please tell us if you are successful, with the capacitor change.

Put the answer in the thread in the Tips and Tricks area.

Good luck with the soldering.

BTW:

Simon, on the way to the office this morning a saw a Gorilla standing next to the road on bridge connecting Liding? to Stockholm.

It turned out to be, that somebody made a practical joke, by disguising himself, my first thought that came into my mind, was if it was Simon Waters out where trying to solder.

Comment

Originally posted by kz

BTW:

Simon, on the way to the office this morning a saw a Gorilla standing next to the road on bridge connecting Liding? to Stockholm.

It turned out to be, that somebody made a practical joke, by disguising himself, my first thought that came into my mind, was if it was Simon Waters out where trying to solder.
                If it had been me soldering the bridge, Karl, I wouldn't use the bridge again if I was you.....with my skills, it would probably fall in the water under its own weight.

BTW, Karl is referring to a comment in one of my PM's to him that lamented that I had the soldering skills of a "drunken gorilla".

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Waters
                  Karl is referring to a comment in one of my PM's to him that lamented that I had the soldering skills of a "drunken gorilla".
                  A gorilla from French Guyana?

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
                    A gorilla coming to visit the Netherlands to fit "ape hangers" to your bikes.......and do more rain dances.

- When one sits under the trees of wit, one might gets hit by an apple thrown by an angry gorilla -

Comment

Simon,

The story of the gorilla on the bridge is true, they even mentioned it on the traffic waring on the radio, after reading your post the other day, I just couldn't let be of thinking of you and your soldering............

BTW:

Soldering is not that hard...... :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
                        A gorilla coming to visit the Netherlands to fit "ape hangers" to your bikes.......and do more rain dances.

- When one sits under the trees of wit, one might gets hit by an apple thrown by an angry gorilla -

Comment

Originally posted by kz
                          Simon,

The story of the gorilla on the bridge is true, they even mentioned it on the traffic waring on the radio, after reading your post the other day, I just couldn't let be of thinking of you and your soldering............

BTW:

Soldering is not that hard...... :roll:
                          I believe you about the gorilla story, Karl. Truly! Also, everybody knows that the gorilla is native to the Swedish rain forest. Of course, the fur is thicker to handle the colder temperatures, and most wear electric vests and use heated grips when riding their motorcycles.

BTW, help!! I have soldered the tach electronic board to the garage door.

Comment

So Simon, are you trying to say that now your electric garage door opener opens and closes the door 9500 times a minute making it difficult to time your entry into the garage correctly?

Earl

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                              So Simon, are you trying to say that now your electric garage door opener opens and closes the door 9500 times a minute making it difficult to time your entry into the garage correctly?

Earl

Yup, Earl. The garage door has already chewed up 3 cats, 2 dogs and a neighborhood kid! :twisted: I am thinking of using it as a large scale shredder or, alternatively, sending my invention to Scotty as a complimentary add-on to the hazards of his driveway.

Comment

Working...
                              X