1986 GS450L Pinging noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 GS450L Pinging noise

I have a 1986 GS450L. Bought it from a private seller. Works well, considering.

I have noticed that:

1. The Tachometer doesn't work, any ideas on what to do? The spedo works 99% of the time, I think that could be a lose connection. The signals and lights and fuel gauge work fine.

2. When I open the throttle about 1/2 way, I hear a pinging noise, I lose power for a short time. Seems like the bike has to catch up with speed, if it was a car I would think that the gears/clutch are slipping, thats ALMOST what it sounds like, also a pinging noise.

Thanks for your help! I do a lot of work on my own car, so I figured the bike wouldnt be so hard.

Also, anyone have a service manual they would be willing to part with?

I'd check your ignition timing. Get a manual and a timing light and you'll be golden. Check your valve clearances as well, just because it's easy.

Comment

Valve clearences... how would I do that?

Comment

You have no ignition timing...it is fully electronic.

Valves are easy but you need a good set of feeler gauges and some reading from Bassclif's site or a good manual.

Are you sure that you're hearing ignition ping?

Comment

I have an extra Clymer manual for GS400-450 Chain Drive 1977-1987, It's a service, repair and maintenance manual if your interested, Let me know

Comment

Absolutely I would be interested! How much would you want to part with it?

Comment

Working...
            X