77' 750 drain plug stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77' 750 drain plug stripped

So I stripped out the drain plug on my 77' 750. It has been degrading for some time now and I always tell myself one more oil change and then forget to buy the new plug before the next oil change, and then the cycle repeats. This time it just stripped out.

What size is the drain plug? Is it 14mm x 1.25 thread pitch? part num 09247-14001? I only ask because somewhere else online it said 19mm x 1.5 and then when I was in the motorcycle parts shop on my way to work they sold me a 14mm x 1.5 ?

Apart from its dimensions what is the best way to get it out now that its stripped?

Is it the plug or the threads in the sump that are shot. If it's the sump you can get self-tapping oversized drain plugs at most auto parts stores. They are made by Motormite. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...p/t-71861.html

Comment

Remove the 6mm bolts from underneath after you have drained the oil. If you cant remove the sump plug then lean the bike over and drill a hole in the centre of the plug. Remove it with bolt extractor or just drain oil through hole. Get the sump on the work bench where you can remove the sump plug and check it's size and also check on the condition of the internals of the engine. Don't forget a new sump gasket. Do the repair and you will never have to look at it again. Don't do a cheap fix or you will be revisiting the problem again soon.

Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2008, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I dont know whats what yet. I have yet to actually get it out. It seems like it always ends up awfully tight. I try not to overtighten it. There isnt anything funky I should know about the plug. Like do not warm, or reverse threaded or anything, is there?

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzixx View Post
          I dont know whats what yet. I have yet to actually get it out. It seems like it always ends up awfully tight. I try not to overtighten it. There isnt anything funky I should know about the plug. Like do not warm, or reverse threaded or anything, is there?
          Just a standard plug, no reverse threads. It's more than likely the sump that is stripped.

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzixx View Post
            No left hand thread. It is a normal sump plug. It's just cross threaded probably.

Comment

Working...
            X