kaw rear wheel on a gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kaw rear wheel on a gs1000

I just wanted to know if a kaw rear wheel will fit a 79 gs1000(bolt on). Reason I ask is because it has a kaw front end. What do I need to do to make it fit? i know I need to change out the front sprocket but from what bike.

why are you doing this swap if you dont mind my asking? i am kz 900 guru and gs 1100e rider maybe i can help.

Comment

well when my coz got it. it already had a Katana front end. he has a kaw rear wheel for it but he is giving me the bike so. I want to at least match the rims. going to chop the gs1000

Comment

i assume this front katana wheel is "flat" style 3 spoke design?

Comment

Originally posted by steelhorsejockey View Post
          i assume this front katana wheel is "flat" style 3 spoke design?

yes I think so....

Comment

if that is the wheel you are trying to match why not go with 5.5" gsxr rear wheel with honda shadow swing arm?

Comment

Originally posted by steelhorsejockey View Post
              if that is the wheel you are trying to match why not go with 5.5" gsxr rear wheel with honda shadow swing arm?
              years? So you dont think the kaw rim will fit? trying to be cheap as i can

Comment

not sure about the kaw rear wheel.if axle diameter is the same there is always a way to make it work. if you want to see my kaw 900 with katana front and gsxr rear wheels go to bikepics.com and goto kz 900 1976 model 2nd page its black with red stripe/70's style bullet fairing. built my own swing arm from stock arm. kz 900/1000 swing arm will bolt onto zuk.

Comment

as far as front sprocket goes , not sure what interchanges on zuk. so you can use 530 chain, local shop called cycle recycle has web site with contact info his name is rob he can help guide you on that.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2008, 10:59 PM.

Comment

or just even put the stock rim back up front

Comment

Axle diameter doesn't matter much either, it's usually just a matter of swapping bearings and bearing supports.

Comment

i guess i will see when I get it this weekend

Comment

bearing supports?

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post
                            bearing supports?
                            There's one in the wheel hub and one in the sprocket carrier. They are there to keep the inner and outer races in alignment and not allow lateral pressure on the bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRooster View Post
                              years? So you dont think the kaw rim will fit? trying to be cheap as i can
                              In my experience, being cheap rarely saves money or time. OTOH, it might be nice to know what else works out there. Especially in the realm of spoked rims.

Comment

Working...
                              X