Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about pistons, heads, valves, and cams

Hello All,

I have been trying to do my due dilligence and research my shaftdrive GS 1100, so that when I tear into it next winter I can have a more or less well thought out plan for restoring and customizing it. And I have a few questions that some of you who have more GS experience may be able to help me out.

One: it is my understanding that the 16 valve heads were never put on the shaft drive bikes. Will the 16 valve bolt on to the stock barrells? If I can't switch heads or I just choose not to, can I redo the stock head to use bigger valves?

Two: I have seen a number of aftermarket cams including crane and others. Who makes the best, and what is a good lift and duration for a super hot "street rod" crusier?

Three: Wiesco makes a number of overbore piston sets, and I am thinking of going with the 10:25.1 pistons that turn my 1100 into 1163 cc's. Do any of you guys have experience using these wiesco pistons in a GS motor, or is their another brand I should consider?

Bob

I am using cam motion g-4 cams in my 1150 they are a good cross betwen a street and strip cam. They will move you power up the band a little but make good power. I also have been using wiesco 10.25 pistons and they have been in the bike with nitrous for 10 years. i just did new rings ,but the pistons looked good considering the abuse they have seen

Comment

I will be locked out

I got a nasty gram for posting this under general discussion. Gee, I thought we were here to discuss our bikes! My response to the warning was "Kiss my ass punk!" So, I will probably be locked out of here. Oh well.

Comment

One: it is my understanding that the 16 valve heads were never put on the shaft drive bikes. Will the 16 valve bolt on to the stock barrells? If I can't switch heads or I just choose not to, can I redo the stock head to use bigger valves?
        Look at the schematics for 2 valve vs. 4 valve heads. (I'll send it to you via email) The head gaskets have different passages. That probably kills a top end swap. If you decide to work the 2 valve head find a good shop with a flowbench. Sometimes bigger isn't better - especially on the street.

Two: I have seen a number of aftermarket cams including crane and others. Who makes the best, and what is a good lift and duration for a super hot "street rod" crusier?
        The 2 valve shaft drive 1100 was designed to be a tourer/cruiser. the cam timing is geared toward midrange performance. The hottest factory 2 valve cam grind is the 77-79 GS750.
        Three: Wiesco makes a number of overbore piston sets, and I am thinking of going with the 10:25.1 pistons that turn my 1100 into 1163 cc's. Do any of you guys have experience using these wiesco pistons in a GS motor, or is their another brand I should consider?
        Make sure the overbore set is for 2-valve & not 4-valve engines. you may have to have a set custom made.
        You might want to consider getting a GS1100/1150. That would be easier & you'd have a 'super hot "street rod" ' right from the start.
        All the wiseco overbore kits would work if you still felt the need for more.

Comment

Re: I will be locked out

Originally posted by roadrash
          I got a nasty gram for posting this under general discussion. Gee, I thought we were here to discuss our bikes! My response to the warning was "Kiss my ass punk!" So, I will probably be locked out of here. Oh well.
          You guessed right smart mouth! :twisted:

--- Frank ---

Comment

Re: I will be locked out

Originally posted by fperreault
            Originally posted by roadrash
            You guessed right smart mouth! :twisted:

--- Frank ---
            Well I guess Mr Rash is off the air so won't see this anyway, but we discussed this a little while ago and my post was to the effect that the 16 valve engine's top end is not compatable with the 8 valve engine because the cylinder stud pattern is different. (otherwise I would have tried it by now)

By the way Frank, er, sorry, er, Mr Perrault sir, I'd just like to say how handsome you look in your pic, and I'm not just "sucking-up" in case you get mad at me too and banish me too, condemning me to wander the earth (well, via the net) looking for another site as good as "GS Resources", ha ha!

Comment

Mr. Terry you have nothing to worry about.

As for Mr. Rash he can stiill read the thread, he just can't log in which keeps him from posting. His loss.

--- Frank ---

Comment

Originally posted by fperreault
                Mr. Terry you have nothing to worry about.

As for Mr. Rash he can stiill read the thread, he just can't log in which keeps him from posting. His loss.

--- Frank ---
                Hey frank I know that this has been a ongoing problem and I made the same mistake when i first started posting here. do you think you could maike the heading General discussions (no tech questions please!) this will help the newbies who have not read the rules...............................skip

Comment

I also made the same mistake by posting in the wrong column. I have been to several boards and this by far is the most active. On a lot of them if you post anywhere besides general discusion no one ever sees it. His main mistake was telling the site admin to kiss his a**.....thats a no no. 8)

Comment

I agree with you Chris, the "kiss" response was uncalled for. I would have blocked him out also. There isnt any reason anyone should have to put up with that type of response to a reasonable request.

Earl

Originally posted by cbxchris
                    I also made the same mistake by posting in the wrong column. I have been to several boards and this by far is the most active. On a lot of them if you post anywhere besides general discusion no one ever sees it. His main mistake was telling the site admin to kiss his a**.....thats a no no. 8)
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Of course being the "apple polisher" that I am, I agree with whatever Frank says, but I understand everyone's concern about accidental posts, for instance, I made a terrible mistake only this morning, at breakfast I meant to ask my wife to pass me the peanut butter, but I accidently said "You f@#$%^g b&tch, you've ruined my life! :twisted:

Comment

Apparently, you too will soon be blocked out. :-)

Earl

quote="terry"]Of course being the "apple polisher" that I am, I agree with whatever Frank says, but I understand everyone's concern about accidental posts, for instance, I made a terrible mistake only this morning, at breakfast I meant to ask my wife to pass me the peanut butter, but I accidently said "You f@#$%^g b&tch, you've ruined my life! :twisted:[/quote]
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Originally posted by terry
                          Of course being the "apple polisher" that I am, I agree with whatever Frank says, but I understand everyone's concern about accidental posts, for instance, I made a terrible mistake only this morning, at breakfast I meant to ask my wife to pass me the peanut butter, but I accidently said "You f@#$%^g b&tch, you've ruined my life! :twisted:
                          sombody help me off the floor!

Comment

I belive there was a 16 valve shafty, but I have only seen one over here in Australia last year. I never knew they existed before that! Must not be many of them.

Comment

Working...
                            X