Stupid question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid question.

I have a 1981 gs1000GL. Could someone please tell me the functions of each of the 3 hoses coming from the gas tank. 2 on the right side (at the petcock), I would imagine that these 2 are fuel supply and vacuum. But what is the hose on the right side of the tank for?

It's an overflow line in case the plate the float arm is attached to starts leaking. Keeps the fuel from ended up on a hot motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      It's an overflow line in case the plate the float arm is attached to starts leaking. Keeps the fuel from ended up on a hot motor.
      Ditto. It should run down between carbs 3 & 4 and end up below the engine/transmission (but hopefully not right infront of the rear wheel).
      Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2008, 07:42 PM.

Comment

You must have edited something. I did not see the 'stupid question'.

If you have a genuine interest in learing about your bike, you will either have to examine the bike until it becomes clear or ask a question of somebody that might have been there, done that before.

You may get a couple of stupid replies or even some half-replies, but there is really no such thing as a stupid question.

Oh, yeah, Billy Ricks has the right answer for you.

Now, I have a question for you. You made this statement:
        ... the 3 hoses coming from the gas tank. 2 on the right side (at the petcock), ...
        How did you get your petcock on the RIGHT side? Since you are learning about your bike, it will also help to learn that left/right is always referenced when you are sitting on the bike, ready to ride. The cylinders are numbered left to right, too, so #1 is under your clutch hand, #4 is under your throttle hand. Keeping this little bit straight will help you as you ask more questions.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          You must have edited something. I did not see the 'stupid question'.

If you have a genuine interest in learing about your bike, you will either have to examine the bike until it becomes clear or ask a question of somebody that might have been there, done that before.

You may get a couple of stupid replies or even some half-replies, but there is really no such thing as a stupid question.

Oh, yeah, Billy Ricks has the right answer for you.

Now, I have a question for you. You made this statement:

How did you get your petcock on the RIGHT side? Since you are learning about your bike, it will also help to learn that left/right is always referenced when you are sitting on the bike, ready to ride. The cylinders are numbered left to right, too, so #1 is under your clutch hand, #4 is under your throttle hand. Keeping this little bit straight will help you as you ask more questions.

Everyone starts somewhere. There are actually some helpful old geezers on here who are happy to help with anything. There are some boneheads too but that's just the law of averages. Generally it's a good forum.

If you're really not sure about a question feel free to send a private message.

Comment

ok, i followed the hose on the right (my "non-petcock" right and it goes to the vent connection between 1 and 2 carbs. Is this bad. Should i mention that i cant get the bike to fire up. It has spark and will crank fine. i get a hint when i squirted a shot of starting fluid in Cyl 1. This wouldn't have anything to do with it ....would it?

Comment

First of all,

PUT THE STARTING FLUID AWAY.

That stuff can do nasty stuff if used incorrectly and it's way too easy to use it incorrectly.

List of hoses:
              Larger hose from petcock goes to 'T' between carbs 2 and 3
              Smaller hose from petcock goes to fitting on carb 2
              Hose from 'T' between 1 and 2 is a vent, it goes back, over the airbox and connects to nothing.
              Hose from 'T' between 3 and 4 is a vent, it goes back, over the airbox and connects to nothing.
              Hose from fuel level sensor (under side of the tank) goes back, along the frame, down behind the engine, just in case the sender leaks.

BassCliff has a picture that might help. You can see it by clicking here

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X