GS550ES Charging System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550ES Charging System

I have been suspicious of my charging system, since my battery over a period of 2 weeks or so begins to lose it's charge. I checked the voltage at the terminals with the engine running. At 1200 rpm I get an indicated 13.5 volts and anything above or below this rpm it drops of to 12.7 volts. ?

What say you???????? and thanks

the regulator rectifier is likely at the end of its service life
    apparently one of the guys here has a Honda part that is a really good long term replacement

the oem part is crap to put it politely
    20 yrs ago they cost 270 bucvks new
    they are likely still crazy expensive
    an ebay part would always be a dubious purchase as any unit may be fried and regardless would do so eventually

dload the manul form basscliffs site to get the specs on all tests
    the reg\rect and the stator have an interrelationship and the reg rect dying or being marginal can be related to a faulty stator

i think the output at the leasds is 70VAC at 5000 rpm

Comment

+1 sound like the RR. Run through the stator papers here on the GSR and trouble shoot. Duaneage here sells honda units, I think for 40 bucks. i have an elctrex RR and it works great, but are about 100 bucks (If I knew about duanage then, i'd have saved 60 bucks!)
      When checking it out, don't forget to check ALL related connections, a slightly corroded bullet connector can poop on the whole parade.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions, which I will follow up on. :-) Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Kenny View Post
          Thanks for your suggestions, which I will follow up on. :-) Tom
          I just bought one from Duaneage it was 40.00 out the door. It took 4 days to it. It comes with new connectors and zip ties. Heck of a deal
          He garauntees it

Comment

Working...
          X