Can Sea Foam be used in sealed tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Sea Foam be used in sealed tank?

The tank on my bike is sealed. I read a thread that mentioned using a little Sea Foam with each tank of gas to keep things clean and using more Sea Foam as a gas stabilizer through the winter. My question is - can I use Sea Foam in a tank that has been sealed? I don't want it eating away at the sealant.

Yes, it'll be fine.

Sea Foam is basically alcohol and a light purty-smelling oil. It's harmless to plastic and rubber, so anything used for a tank sealant won't be bothered one bit.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Youll need to see if Naptha will effect the sealer. While ISP (Isopropyl Alcohol) wont have much effect on it the Naptha might. Its just Petroleum Ether. Your sealer should have an MSDS that will give you a clue.

Comment

Which sealer did you use?
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

OK - I'll have to admit it - I had a radiator shop seal the tank. They charged $70 and cleaned it out with acid first before sealing it. After checking into doing it myself I thought that sounded fair. Anyway - I'll call them and ask what they used. Btw - the sealer is red/pink inside the tank. Does that help to identify what they used?

Comment

That might be Redcote, generally considered as good stuff. The old standard Kreem does not hold up to alcohols well.

Comment

Yeah, the radiator shoppe stuff is mighty tough. Sea Foam won't be a problem.
              Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
              X