SS Braided brake line question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Braided brake line question

I am in the process of upgrading to SS braided lines on my 82 1100 GL. I am debating with myself what to do about the front lines.

Option 1 - Bike has three brake lines with a splitter on the triple tree. Should I keep the bike stock with 1 line from the master cylinder to the splitter, and 1 from the splitter to each caliper.

Option 2 - Mod one mentioned here on the site, is to remove the splitter and run 2 lines straight to the caliper from the master cylinder.

Option 3 - The other popular mod here seems to be 1 line to the master cylinder to either the left or right caliper with a second line going from caliper to caliper.

My question is what are the advantages and disadvantages of each of the above options.

By using two separate lines, you will be using the most hose, probably making it the most expensive option, but I don't know by how much. I have also seen someone post that the two separate lines option also adds a lot of bulk on the handlebars.

I have not done this upgrade (yet), but I would suspect that any of your options will work better than stock and you will be impressed by the difference.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You're gonna get conflicting answers on this one! Perfomance wise there's nothing to chose. Bleeding can be just as easy (or difficult) whichever way you go though some will swear I'm wrong.

Plus expense - don't forget that the 3 line hose needs 6 banjos (1 double) whereas the 2 line hose needs only 3 (1 double) whichever way you do it.

I say go with whatever you like the look of the most.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Good question

I'm going to be doing this soon as well.
        I think that running 1 line to the left caliper with a double banjo, then looping one line to the right caliper, is going to be my option.
        1. It's less expensive
        2. I can reuse the double banjo in the existing splitter.
        3. Having the lines end at the right caliper will make reaching the front brake lever easy when bleeding.

As far as I know, performance will not be effected.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

2X is what we call it and it is used in racing. I have done this to 2 bikes of my own and love the braking so much better. I reccomend this to anyone, IMO much better braking feedback also. SS lines are a much better way to go no matter what way you go with 2 line or the 3 line.

Comment

Doesn't make any difference on the road. Take your pick of what you think looks best and how much you want to spend.

The only difference is that 2 lines is a little cheaper, since you only have 4 fittings instead of 6. So that's what's on my GS850.

If you have really low or narrow handlebars, you might have trouble getting the clearance to use a double banjo bolt on the master cylinder, but that's about the only issue I can think of.

Whichever way you go, there's no need to buy new banjo bolts. The originals are much better quality than most of the aftermarket stuff. If you remove the splitter and go with 2 lines, you simply use the double banjo bolt from the splitter on the master cylinder (or on the caliper if you use the "over the fender" scheme).
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Since I already had the parts from Earls to make all three brake lines for the front, I went ahead with option 1. As well as having enough line left over to probably make one more line if I had the banjos.

I am now working at bleeding the air from the system. I have a few questions. First is, will the system gravity feed at all to start getting fluid at the caliper like a car will? If no, is there any secret to help get the system purged, that do not involve the use of a vacuum pump? Also any particular angle I should have the handle bars at to make sure it purges the splitter?

Comment

other than the vacuum pump, what seems to always work well is the method of pushing the fluid UP, by starting at the bleeders
                GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                X