Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stator 3rd phase wire to charge auxillary battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator 3rd phase wire to charge auxillary battery?

Has anyone utilized the 3rd phase of a stator wire to it's own r/r to charge an auxillary battery?

This may sound like a tangent but after reading the stator papers i thought if the 3rd phase is not used then why not run a separate r/r to it and run auxillary lights etc.

Cooking with electrons

Hi Mr. GQROD,

All three phases of the stator are used. In the older bikes, with a headlight on/off switch, one phase of the stator was disabled when the headlight was turned off, so as not to overcook the battery. With the headlight on (required by law to be on all the time), you'll need all three phases pushing electrons into the battery to keep it properly charged.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks basscliff, that answers that.

My stator is fried due to the PO wiring the stator wires with spade connectors too close to each other without the plastic connector. One wire is brown and melted.

I'm looking into a stator just not sure which brand is best, and getting a 1.5 amp solar panel to mount on the bike, just to be on the safe side.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2008, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post
        I'm looking into a stator just not sure which brand is best, and getting a 1.5 amp solar panel to mount on the bike, just to be on the safe side.
        Hi Mr. GQROD,

A solar panel to trickle-charge the battery? That's pretty trick!

I've used RMStator and Electrosport parts. About the only difference I've noticed is that the Electrosport stator had shorter wires. Luckily, I was able to route my r/r wires so that everything connected up properly.

Rick's Electrics is about 40% more $$$. Never tried one of those.

BassCliff

Comment

some models have a provision for an extra fuse and an extra circuit to run the aux components
          you may need to upgrade the rr to cope with the increased demand for power
          GS850GT

Comment

Thank you basscliff and psyguy for your advice, i have seen the 1.5 amp solar trickle chargers with a float mode and thought it made sense, since electrical problems plague the gs series so much.

I'm considering fabricating an alluminum rear wing to mount it.

On my 83 GS550E I didn't notice an extra fuse slot on my fuse box however there are two phillips head screws with a positive and a negative symbol embossed below them. Is this the aux tap for power?

Thanks again.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2008, 10:01 AM.

Comment

On my 83 GS550E I didn't notice an extra fuse slot on my fuse box however there are two phillips head screws with a positive and a negative symbol embossed below them. Is this the aux tap for power?

Thanks again.
              yup, that's it
              probably the circuit goes through one of the other fuses (you can determine that by removing the fuse box and having a looksy at the back side)
              GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                yup, that's it
                probably the circuit goes through one of the other fuses (you can determine that by removing the fuse box and having a looksy at the back side)
                Cool thanks, i ran out and bought a 6 circuit fuse box at auto zone I want to clean up the harness a bit, it looks like spaghetti exploded on my bike, so between the coil relay mod and other mods i'll install the new fuse box and clean up the wiring.

I'll see if i can finally post some pics of my bike as i'm doing the harness clean up.

I ordered the stator from electrosports, i was going to order one from RM Stator as basscliff recomended but my god they wanted $60.00 for shipping charges????? wow.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

OK, assuming your '83 550 uses the same arrangement in the fuse panel:

Top fuse - lights. Headlight, instrument lights and tail light.
                  Second fuse - signals. Turn signals, horn and brakes.
                  Third fuse - ignition. Only powers the coils.
                  Fourth fuse - main fuse. This is between the battery and the rest of the bike.
                  Fifth fuse - AUX outlet. This is what protects the power at the two screws you see labeled + and - at the bottom of the fuse block.

The main and AUX fuses are live all the time, the other three are only live when the key is ON.

Hope this helps some.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I ordered the stator from electrosports, i was going to order one from RM Stator as basscliff recomended but my god they wanted $60.00 for shipping charges????? wow.
                    ???

"Wow!" is right. The part I ordered from RM Stator for my bike cost $101 total, shipped. I don't understand such high shipping charges.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      ???

"Wow!" is right. The part I ordered from RM Stator for my bike cost $101 total, shipped. I don't understand such high shipping charges.

BassCliff
                      Yeah that's what i said when i saw it-lol i'll take my chances with the electrosport, although the ELECTREX version fromt the uk was only 92.00 plus shipping but i can't wait that long again for parts! thanks for the advice though if this one bites the dust i'll get the RMStator down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        OK, assuming your '83 550 uses the same arrangement in the fuse panel:

Top fuse - lights. Headlight, instrument lights and tail light.
                        Second fuse - signals. Turn signals, horn and brakes.
                        Third fuse - ignition. Only powers the coils.
                        Fourth fuse - main fuse. This is between the battery and the rest of the bike.
                        Fifth fuse - AUX outlet. This is what protects the power at the two screws you see labeled + and - at the bottom of the fuse block.

The main and AUX fuses are live all the time, the other three are only live when the key is ON.

Hope this helps some.

Yes it helps a lot, the reason i wanted to know was so i can do the relay mod for the coils and as i read pointed out in another thread he added a relay to have more consistent voltage from the R/R rather than charging too high, and relays added to cut off current to the head light when teh starter was activated.

These two plus some auxillary lights i want to add will just make a mess out of the harness so i want to be able to expand things neatly.

By the way anyone know where i can get waterproof switches? i'm sure i can find a boat dealer that carries them just thought someone may have some advice on this.

Thanks again for your help!!
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2008, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Fifth fuse - AUX outlet. This is what protects the power at the two screws you see labeled + and - at the bottom of the fuse block..
                          thats what i had suggested but he said NO aux fuse (and i dont really know what the 550 fuse box looks like)

anyhow, it's a good place to run the wires for the coils relay from, as it is already fused and gets the power directly from the battery
                          Last edited by psyguy; 09-08-2008, 03:43 AM.
                          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                            thats what i had suggested but he said NO aux fuse (and i dont really know what the 550 fuse box looks like)

anyhow, it's a good place to run the wires for the coils relay from, as it is already fused and gets the power directly from the battery
                            That's actually perfect i'll do it utilizing the aux fuse. Until you clarified it i wasn't sure if this was an available circuit. Thanks again!

Comment

If you use the AUX circuit for your coils, be sure to change the fuse.
                              I think it comes with a 5-amp fuse as standard, you will want a 10-amp fuse for the coils.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X