Identification of needed parts (crashed bike) w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identification of needed parts (crashed bike) w/pics

Took the bike out for a trip today in the very light rain. My stubborn self wouldn't let a little rain ruin my fun, so I rode around anyway. To cut a long story short, I ended up on my stomach on the grass by the side of the road

The headlight is smashed, the signal generator cover cracked, right front turn signal is smashed, instrument panel totally destroyed and the handlebar broke off on the left side

Other than that the bike seems to be fine, I can't see anything wrong with the front fork - I'll have to see when I get it on the road again.

Now, my trouble is that neither the handlebars or the headlight are stock, and I don't know where they came from. I prefer these bars over the stock clip-ons, as I have much better control of the bike (ahem ) with them.

My dad borrowed my camera for his weekend trip, so I don't have any pics of the damage or the specific parts needed yet - the only pic I have which shows the headlight and the handlebars is this

I will post some more useful pics when I get my cam back tomorrow.

As for myself I'm fine, I beat up my right thumb pretty bad, but nothing is broken.

Update: The pictures are here http://www.diselmink.net/images/crashedbike/index.htm

Glad to hear your OK. The Hbars look like the standard "superbike bend" you can find anywhere. The headlight might just be pulled from another bike, it looks like a fairly common 5.5 inch headlight. Are the mounting ears for the light trashed? If you could straighten the ears you could probably find any number of headlight buckets to fit.....

HTH

Comment

Glad to hear that you're OK!

There's a Dutch salvage yard on the internet, that happens to have a 1983 GSX750ES for parts, in case you can't get any used parts nearby where you live.

Email: sales@roukama.com
      Tel: +31-75-6400370

Comment

I figured the bars were pretty standard, so I'm hoping to find them at a reasonable price. I guess I'll just measure the diameter and check the distance between the bends. Except for the mirrors all the other stuff on my old handlebar and a half seems ok.

One of the mounting ears for the headlight is bent pretty badly (the one on the right side), so I'm not sure how it'll hold up if I bend it back. :?

I'll have to shop around for a headlight, which would be easier if I had a bike model name to go by. I like the look of the bike with this large headlight, I definately think it's bigger than 5.5" though 8O (where is this diameter measured?). Are there any specific GS models with large headlights?

There is a "local" shop called Spinnin Wheel. They part out crashed bikes, so I figured it would be best to ask them for the majority of the parts. Does anyone have an idea of how expensive the instrument housing(with working internals) should be?

Btw this was all typed with one hand. My right thumb hurts, though the doctor said it wasn't broken. Feels stiffer now than when I went to see him right after the accident.

Comment

the EZ and EF models had a "large" 8" headlight.
          Dink

Comment

I looked at some of the pictures in the gallery, and the 1150EF headlight looks pretty much the same size as my current headlight. Thanks dink

Comment

good to see you're ok

well I am happy to see yo uare ok. I also trashed my '83 GS750ES back in Sept. I still have a broken leg but am now looking to fix mine up...I dunno how it is in Europw but these bikes are a bit rare in North America so I have had some trouble finding some parts. Luckily the wonderful people on this site have been very helpful. I should be receiving my new swing arm next week and hopefully will be able to start work soon.
              Cheers,
              Shaun

Comment

Re: good to see you're ok

Originally posted by Klack
                I also trashed my '83 GS750ES back in Sept. I still have a broken leg but am now looking to fix mine up...I dunno how it is in Europw but these bikes are a bit rare in North America so I have had some trouble finding some parts. Luckily the wonderful people on this site have been very helpful.
                I'm sorry to hear about that, hope you get well soon. I realize that I was lucky. Went to see the doctor today after leaving work early. Turns out my left shoulder/upper arm got a bad stretch when the handlebar broke off. Gonna have to take it easy at work this week till it gets better.

Parts availability for these models is pretty good up here, there were quite a few sold in both Norway and Sweden - so finding the parts isn't much trouble. But in those cases where I'm having trouble finding the parts I need, or rather, finding out WHAT I need - this forum is a godsend. The combined knowledge of all the people on this forum is immense, and I think there are very few problems that can't be solved through common effort here.

Comment

bars

Get your superbike bars here:

I've bought 2 sets of bars from Rice Paddy, and have been pleased with them. Have some black superbike bars on my GS1100GK, and love the look and feel. And who can beat $15 for NEW bars - chrome or black powdercoated.

Comment

Re: bars

Originally posted by R-Tru-D2
                    Wonderful! I sent them a mail asking if they ship to Norway - I'm looking at buying one Superbike and one GP touring bar. $15 is indeed a low-low price

Comment

Got a reply from one of the salvage yards over here now. They want $857 (6000nkr) for the instrument panel, two mirrors and the right front turnsignal.

Ouch. Still waiting for a response from Spinnin Wheel.

Comment

mirrors

JC Whitney has some pretty decent mirrors to replace the stockers. Not quite as rugged, but the price is good. They have chrome, black plastic, or black metal finish. They could probably hook you up with turn signals, as well. For that matter, you could buy a mini speedo and tach from them, too, and clean up your front end.

Comment

Okay I'll check them out - though I rather like the original instruments with the tank gauge, oil temperature and gear indicator. I think I can reuse the tank gauge and gear indicator though, I'll have to engineer a new front plate to do so.

Comment

That sounds like a lot of money. Do they want 800$US for the console and 60$ for everything else? I mean, in Canada, I could get the mirrors for 20$CDN, a set of aftermarket blinkers for 30$ and a handlebar for 20$.

Steve

Comment

The majority of the cost is due to the instrument cluster. Turn signals and mirrors don't cost too much even over here.

I'm getting the handlebars from Rice Paddy, $15 for the bars + $17 shipping.

Do these gauges work on my bike ? My current speedometer is mechanical, but my tach is electronic.
                              Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Comment

Working...
                              X