Drain plug hole STRIPPED!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bgmart450 View Post
    Sometimes not, I know that feeling of trying to remove an exhaust that you hadn't put anti-seize on before....(SNAP)...
    Ah....good point. Fortunately, for those of us with 4-into-1s, removing the exhaust is at least an annual event.

Comment

Originally posted by Craiger View Post
      Ah....good point. Fortunately, for those of us with 4-into-1s, removing the exhaust is at least an annual event.
      Or ride in winter. I'm putting in studs.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
        Or ride in winter. I'm putting in studs.
        That's a nice viable solution. How much do those studs run? I'd like to install them, too.

Comment

i just had to fix the drain plug on my gs1100e. i used a time-sert in order to keep my original drain plug. i found one that would go in only as far as the material on the oil pan.used a lil jb weld to secure it in place and to make sure it was sealed. worked out great. oh it was a 14mm spark plug insert i used.

Comment

my plug stripped on my 750 and i got one of those self tapping one size bigger bolts, and put some rtv on the threads, i've done one oil change since this and i just have to go back and retighten it very carefuly after i ride it once, it works fine

Comment

Comment

Isn't helicoil a bit long? This would mean you'd be draining the oil and the deposits would stay in the bottom of the pan?
                McLoud
                '79 GS850
                `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                sigpic
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  I wouldn't use a heilcoil, they tend to unscrew when you take the bolt out. A Timesert insert is far better for things like spark plugs and drain plugs because they lock in place more secure than a helicoil.

That said, to repair the striped threads there are oversize drain plugs for just such a purpose. They are self tapping; you just torque them in. Napa sells them and a number of members here have reported positive results using them.

Good luck.

I have had some success with the helicoil system. Mine had a helicoil repair in the oil drain years ago with no problems. It was installed by my favorite and trusted dealership to repair the damage caused by a hamfisted mechanic (me).

Comment

I know the thread in a GS850 oil pan is the same as a spark plug, 14mm X 1.25mm, so inserts are very easy to find.

I installed a solid insert from McMaster-Carr when I rebuilt my GS850 engine. I like knowing the threads are solid steel.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I don't know if they are the same but I have a pan with a drain plug for a 1981 GS750L in my shed. You're welcome to it if it will help.

Comment

drain plug fix

which ever way you fix the problem do it right and take off the oil pan
                        your sump for your oil pump is right there and if you tear the screen
                        you could suck chunks of stuff through your motor. be carefull that is cheep free advice take it or leave in makes no difference to me anthony

Comment

Originally posted by mcloud View Post
                          Isn't helicoil a bit long? This would mean you'd be draining the oil and the deposits would stay in the bottom of the pan?
                          You cut the Helicoil so it only has the # of threads you NEED. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                          X