GS1150E battery light on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150E battery light on

Well the charging system is working fine though, I get 14.4 volts at the battery at like 2,000rpms.

I was told that this wire might have something to do with the idiot light not working;

I checked the wiring diagram and I would assume a green wire is a ground? The bullet plug was so corroded it broke off, also after the bullet plug was about 8" of wire and then like an inline fuseable link? It definitely wasn't another bullet connector, I don't think so anyway. Then after that the wire was just broken and not going to anything.

Thanks for any and all help.

Ben, do you have the correct battery that the sensor wire goes into one of the cells? Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      Ben, do you have the correct battery that the sensor wire goes into one of the cells? Ray.
      Yup, the idiot light is for low water in your battery. A sensor replaces one of the fill caps. My new battery didn't have the sensor, so I just pulled the bulb out of the gauges.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The 'correct' battery (wet-type Yuasa with a hole for the sensor probe) is pretty expensive. If you have installed a gel (AGM sealed) battery or even a conventional 'wet' type without the sensor provision, the red light on the dash will stay lit. Some say connecting the sense wire to the batt positive will switch the light off, but I have not tried that. The AGM's are better in every way, IMHO.

Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Comment

The current battery is just a piece of crap generic wet cell. I run a big crank AGM in my 900f and swear by it....

Has anyone else had any luck hooking this wire to the positive?

Comment

Originally posted by CB900SS View Post
            The current battery is just a piece of crap generic wet cell. I run a big crank AGM in my 900f and swear by it....

I'd just pull the bulb. It takes about 10 minutes.
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

What Bruce said! Ray.

Comment

Yes, attach the wire to the + and the light goes out. At least it did on my 82.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Mine, also

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  Mine, too!
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                    Funny, I extended the wire last night and held it on the positive. The light stayed on.

I would really like to replace that battery light with an actual volt meter.

Comment

Funny, I extended the wire last night and held it on the positive. The light stayed on.

I would really like to replace that battery light with an actual volt meter.

As stated before, the battery light does nothing but let you know your water level is low. If you want a volt meter, I sell a kit:

or do a search. There are some other types of volt meters others have used.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Bruce, maybe I'm dense, but that link seems to only shows your oil pressure and oil temp kits. Do you also have a voltmeter kit?
                        1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
                          Bruce, maybe I'm dense, but that link seems to only shows your oil pressure and oil temp kits. Do you also have a voltmeter kit?
                          Post #10 on the first page.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                            As stated before, the battery light does nothing but let you know your water level is low. If you want a volt meter, I sell a kit:

or do a search. There are some other types of volt meters others have used.
                            Thanks, I will get back to you on a black oil pressure gauge possibly. For the volt meter I have seen small digital volt meters, I plan to install one in the same location as the current battery light.

Comment

Working...
                            X