Bike Rebuild Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Rebuild Questions

I wanted to know really quickly some answers to questions that arising from my current rebuild. First, how do I effectively clean all the "dirty" parts that are coming off of my bike? Things like the engine block, the sprockets, the corroded screws, the corroded parts, ect. I was thinking of pressure washing some of the stuff but that isn't going to get everything off of my parts. Plus, I need to clean my cams and things like that (pistons as well) and I have no idea how to do this.

Second, how in the h e double hockey sticks to I break free stubborn screws? They are phillip screws and nothing I have tried has worked but I need to get them out and not strip them. Any help on this is appreciated.

Lastly, for now, what kind of oil will I need to re-lubricate parts after I have effectively cleaned them and started the actual rebuilding process?

I am just finishing my first rebuild of sorts. I cleaned everything with SimpleGreen it took off grease like no tomorrow. I didn't do any piston or cam cleaning though (didn't go that far this time) For the metal well that a complicated question, depends on what you are trying to do. Steel wool can work wonders, as can wet sand paper, but again it depends on what you are working with, aluminum, chrome and how bad of condition is it. For those nasty Japanese philips head screws, I used a cutting bit on a dremel, made it the right width for a large slotted and bobs your uncle. Make sure you have replacement screws. I purchased a bolt kit from Burks Motorsports and it worked great, along with a few misc. from Canadian Tire. For re lubing the nuts and bolts use any anti seize product. Best of luck.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Parts Washer with degreasing solvent

Impact Driver after soaking in PB blaster

Assembly lube and/or motor oil

Comment

all of the above +
        - for engine internal parts you can use petrol to clean the old oil and sludge off
        - for piston rings' groves use plastic or wooden picks and a carbon-cleaning-solvent (from the auto-store). the same for the cylinder heads (domes)
        - for the valves you can use a brass wire brush
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post

l
          the impact driver is one of the great inventions of our time...and PB is close!

Comment

One extra tip for cleaning greasy and rusty parts, I use Kerosene. Smelly but effective.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              Just another advocate of this method.

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
                One extra tip for cleaning greasy and rusty parts, I use Kerosene. Smelly but effective.
                Odorless mineral spirits is what I use. Cleans well, fairly cheap, less toxic than many other chemicals, and doesn't stink.

To clean rusted bits, Evapo Rust works well. Harbor Freight sells it for $20/gallon. Just drop the rusted parts in there and in a day or so it will be rust free - degrease first though.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
                  I have a 3-gallon recirculating parts washer tank (courtesy of my wife ). I have a couple gallons of kerosene in there and it does a wonderful job. I don't notice the smell. There is a lid that closes down over the tank, but there is no gasket on it, so it's not air-tight.
                  After about a year and a half, the fluid is running brown, I think it might be time to put in a fresh batch.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How much is an impact driver?

Comment

Originally posted by 1978gs550E View Post
                      Cheaper than one ruined screw.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The main problem I have with using petrol (gasoline),kerosene or other flammable liquids to clean parts is the fire hazard. I prefer to use a non flammable degreaser.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Cheaper than one ruined screw.
                          And hearing about teaching the neighbor kids some new words.

Google up impact screwdriver. You should get a wide range of hits. Harbor freight to snap on.

Scott

Comment

I bought a craftsman impact driver and have been very happy with it. I think I paid around $20 and it has a 1/2" square drive so you can use it with impact sockets as well.

As for greasy parts cleaning I use a mixture of a nasty looking/smelling product called rost-off, kerosene and a bit of motor oil Keeps everything lubed/rust-prevented and cleans very well. I have also used gasoline, kerosene, acetone, alcohol (90%+), and simple green. I work with pretty nasty chemicals daily while at work, so these things don't really bother me. I use good latex gloves and a respirator when needed. I also do this work in my garage with the door open.

Comment

Originally posted by 1978gs550E View Post
                              I'd be surprised if it was $20 but you WILL need it and WILL use it. Replace all case screws possible with a replacement kit. Search around the site for what others are using. I used a kit from Stainlesscycle.com and it was incomplete and some wrong length screws.

I bought a bottle of SimpleGreen to degrease and it did a great job, easy on the enviro., your hands, smells better than kerosene.

Comment

Working...
                              X